• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M916 with M915

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I was not conviced this was a good idea, but I found out today it can be done. Kept speeds between 40 and 50 and stayed off the Interstate. The extra heft of the 916 tended to drag the light azz of the 915 around, but no ugly spin-outs or anything. Air lines for the brakes are an absolute must. Used the large heavy tow bar. Thanks to Linda at Ft Polk GL for forklifting the lunette up so I could hitch up. First pic is outside the DRMO gate pulling the intermediate shaft. Second pic is crawling up the steep grade of the Fred Hartman Bridge over the Houston Ship Channel.

Attachments

Nice work! I used the towbar to pull around our M820 with our M915a1 this past weekend. The M820 is very close to weight of the M916. The NTC 400 didn't seem to mind the load at all.

Are you going to get the M916 going again? Glad you had a safe trip.

Andy

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I pulled the drive shaft between the "drop box" transfer case and the forward rear axle, per the manual. That drive shaft is so heavy I could barely heave it into the cab. The ride back was white knuckle, every time the 916 would move around I would get that feeling in the seat of the pants that slight side movement was occurring, and gently correct with the steering and apply power. At least two SS members have had spin outs towing 915s with a 915, Streetbikedepot and Armyman30yearsplus. It happens when the trailing truck drags the rear out from under and you end up in a jacknifed mess, wondering what just happend. I did not want to be #3, especially 200 miles from home.

reb87

Youre gonna like that 916...Ive been using my m920 for harvest and it is awesome coming out of the field. Dont worry about the front end(getting sucked into the ditch) like a regular truck. The front always has enough weight on it to steer. Concerned about unloading the front hopper of a grain trailer, no problem the truck is heavy enough to pull the trailer without weight on it. Ive hauled 30000 bushels of beans 60 miles to town in the last two months. Only have another 120000 of corn to go.......

BEASTMASTER

you guys are crazy towing a truck with no weight on the first truck. you should put a 3-5 ton cement block on the fifth wheel of the first truck. let see, two guys have had close calls, ???why don't we learn anything here??????