• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing/pulling in reverse

tsmall07

Re: RE: towing/pulling in reverse

CCATLETT1984 said:
reverse in the transmissions of most trucks (someone confirm this) are straight cut, so you have stronger gears but loud at speed.
^^Truth^^.
You usually wouldn't have as much reduction in R as you would in 1st though. Less reduction = less torque.

bottleworks

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: towing/pulling in reverse

CCATLETT1984 said:
i would say with an auto trans, you'd be likely to burn up the clutches.
When in reverse, line pressure is increased to prevent this. Line pressure is also boosted when you put the trans in Low/1.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i have pulled alot of people out of the mud when we are four wheeling. i find it to be easier on the truck if you use reverse low range. pulling on somthing lower than you exerts downward pressure. this plus the weight of the engine over the single front wheels makes it way easier to use your trucks weight and power to its fullest potential

rizzo

I always thought that because of the reverse idle the gear ratio was just a tad lower in reverse than first. Is this true?????

Maroman

+1 on not pulling out a vehicle with a M900 series in low transfer reverse. I was on ATD once in 29 palms. I was looking forward to marrying up with my wrecker there and having some fun. Some bonehead had tried to pull a 5 ton out of some sand in low reverse. He split the t-case in half. I was not happy. I spent the next week installing a rebuilt unit. My M936 was never the same. It is even plastered on the dash NOT to do it. To make it worse he was not even a wrecker driver. Obviously whoever issued him a trip ticket does not know how possesive we can be about our "issued" wreckers!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Allison reverse is like 11 to 1 (from a previous post). Combine that and low range and something is going to give.

rizzo

Recovry4x4 said:
The Allison reverse is like 11 to 1 (from a previous post). Combine that and low range and something is going to give.
[thumbzup]

know anything about the reverse idler lowering the reverse gear ratio?

spicergear

I also feel that because of the load on the nose; engine, pulled line, etc... that you have far greater traction on the singles (similiar to what mudlord said) than pulling from the rear. In certain applications the rear, because of all the tires, doesn't have the contact pressure on the tires and will easily just spin. Plus that doesn't help load the nose at all. I've spun the truck around and pulled logs out in reverse that would just make the truck spin pulling forward.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sailor2000 said:
What is the gear ratio in 1st gear and what is it in reverse in the M35 series?
Spicer 3052 (5th direct): 1st = 7.55, R = 7.36
Spicer 3053A (5th o.d.): 1st = 5.01, R = 4.90

G.