• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tracks on a five ton

WyoDeuce

The mattracks cost $10,000 for a pickup or suv and go up from there. They are ok on a trail but are no good in deep snow. There is a log truck here in wyoming that I see snowmobiling with tracks on it. It has dual rear axle and a track that goes around both rear tires. It is more of a tire chain than a bolt on track. Seems to work pretty well on snowy roads but they are not out cruising powder. The truck is running at least 52" and they may be 66" tires. I think my buddy took a picture last winter. I will try to get a copy. Has anyone run duals on the front to reduce ground contact pressure? :twisted:

exbrown

I talked to this company about tracks for a Deuce. They will build a set for you to what ever you desire. Kind of pricey.

Tandem Axle Track Systems - Right Track Systems Inc.

I have attached the pictures that they sent me. The price is $15,000. I am not interested at that price. I think that I can build a set for much much less.

Attachments

exbrown

I have found several places that sell heavy duty conveyor belt material, like used to move rock at a quarry. A few places even sell some used belting that is in pretty good shape. Looking at the pictures of the tracks, it does not look hard to build. I may try building a set this winter.

GoHot229

My Brother works in Yelowstone as a HVAC guy, and sometimes has to go places where only a snowmobile typicaly would go. He has a suburban supplied by the park service with the track system to use on tough situations. He's never raved one way or another about the performance, my guess is too heavy, to little track/per weight. An avid smowmobile guy, he'd of said something good about the units in conversation, if there were something good to say, but up to this point has been silent. Yea its 'Novelty Cool' but I think money would be better spent on a Delorean snow vehicle. The price of tracks for a Deuce/5 Ton/ what-have-you starts to significantly erode the price you'd pay for the snow vehicle. which would look outstanding behind or in a MV bed.

exbrown

I am looking at making a surf fishing truck, and I think that tracks would help a great deal. Dual wheel trucks have issues because wet sand gets packed between the tires and causes problems. I am thinking that single tandems would work better and give more floatation, but some kind of track over dual tandems would provide even more traction.

I do not think that making a set will be very difficult or expensive.

Parker2

^^^^Duals are going to give you better floatation than singles.

Conveyor belt tracks would be awesome. I am going to have to do that one day.

Last edited:

DMgunn

How about a pair of feederhouse chains from a couple old combines, with some additional material to fill the voids a bit? Heavy, heavy links, and fairly long.....

WyoDeuce

I have seen homemade snow cats using conveyor belting. Works real well. The tracks that exbrown posted are like the ones I have seen in wyoming. They ran the log truck all winter long with a heavy load. I think you could make a set with transport chain and angle iron. We have talked about it a lot here in wyo and were woried that as the axles articulate the distance center to center on the axles changes. This might cause tracks to become too tight or too loose. Any thoughts?:?:
I agree with gohot229 on price. A snowmobile with powder track is under $10,000 new, a used snowcat in decent shape is $10-20,000. The millitary guys would just buy a weasel and tow it with a deuce.:twisted:

Last edited:

WeBeJeepin

What a coincidence. I have a deuce and a set of tracks for our skid steer. Maybe I could link 2 tracks together to fit over the tires. Where is my tape measure.......

DMgunn

I have seen homemade snow cats using conveyor belting. Works real well. The tracks that exbrown posted are like the ones I have seen in wyoming. They ran the log truck all winter long with a heavy load. I think you could make a set with transport chain and angle iron. We have talked about it a lot here in wyo and were woried that as the axles articulate the distance center to center on the axles changes. This might cause tracks to become too tight or too loose. Any thoughts?:?:
I wonder if at low speed without a load on the springs would be stiff enough for it to act like a walking tandem where the tires are stationary relative to each other, but pivot around the center mounting point - like it already does now, but minus the spring flex. Maybe a guy could fab up a piece of square that runs along the springs and controls flex - kinda like the traction lifts they used to sell for mud trucks...

Last edited:

southdave

I remember seeing on utube, tried to find it, the army had a video of WWII duece with track on rear similar to skid steer tracks, and had duals on the front and the same tracking materail around the tires. Later some comment that he found some in beach landing area the have M number. Also I guy is scraping out tractor around my house he some combines with half track system on it from the 60 one big band around the drive wheel and boggie mounted underneath the frame like the tractor of the day

DMgunn

I remember seeing on utube, tried to find it, the army had a video of WWII duece with track on rear similar to skid steer tracks, and had duals on the front and the same tracking materail around the tires. Later some comment that he found some in beach landing area the have M number. Also I guy is scraping out tractor around my house he some combines with half track system on it from the 60 one big band around the drive wheel and boggie mounted underneath the frame like the tractor of the day
Here it is - just lifted it from an almost parallel thread..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZg5kwqF06k&eurl[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks