• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Decking

frodobaggins

I don't know which ones you are referring to, but we don't discuss upcoming auctions on the forum at all.

If you need some help, I'd be glad to help in PM.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
As Frodo said...all the smaller trailers...are metal

Most of the flatbed/lowboy trailers have wooden decks or at least a combination.

To give a specific answer I think you would have to specify a trailer model?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No PB just get a really rusty small one (101 or 105) and put in a wood floor.:roll:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well...that's a possibility...but I think 4X4 kinda wanted something sorta original. Don't think there is a trailer with any sort of wooded deck under say 5ton? Could be wrong.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wasn't there a 4 wheel trailer (possibly a bolster) that had wood decking. Thinking Wrecker had one, if I remember right it had a support in each corner.

papercu

but really want wood as I live by the coast
I guess by that is he is wanting wood because of the rust but would it really make a difference? After all the rest of it is going to be metal. Wayne

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Not me....all the military trailers I have now or have owned were metal.
Most of the big trailers the Army had (that I pulled) had a wood or wood/metal combination deck. This included the road trailers that were pullled by transportation units.
I have seen some big lowboys on GL that had all metal decks but some of them looked like modifications. Since military trailers spend a lot of time sittiing out in the open they always had problems keeping the decks from rotting. In their infinite wisdom the military decided that painting the decks was not authorized.:roll:
I know that quality decking lumber will knock a hole in your pocketbook.

papercu

In their infinite wisdom the military decided that painting the decks was not authorized
Actually I've had more than one carpenter tell me outdoor items will last longer if not painted, by not painting it allows the wood to dry out when it get wet. And if the wood is not complete dry and you do paint, that just traps the moisture inside and it rots from the inside out.
We still have a few old unpainted building built by my Grandfather that are still standing so I tend to believe them. Wayne

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many thanks for the kickbacks. I was looking for a wood deck as it ususally lasts longer. I had a friend that got a trailer from a state surplus sale and it lasted only 3 years before rusting through and had to R/R it with wood. I did not know if all of the trailers were all metal.

As far as sealing a wood trailer, you can use Thompsons water seal on it every 4 years, only treat the topside and let the sides and bottom breath. Has lasted me 20+ years on 1 trailer I have. BTW, keep all leaves and such off the wood and it will last longer..

Again, Thanks!

frodobaggins

Many thanks for the kickbacks. I was looking for a wood deck as it ususally lasts longer. I had a friend that got a trailer from a state surplus sale and it lasted only 3 years before rusting through and had to R/R it with wood. I did not know if all of the trailers were all metal.

As far as sealing a wood trailer, you can use Thompsons water seal on it every 4 years, only treat the topside and let the sides and bottom breath. Has lasted me 20+ years on 1 trailer I have. BTW, keep all leaves and such off the wood and it will last longer..

Again, Thanks!

Take care of a metal deck, and it will last a lifetime. One of my trailers is a 1952. It looks like it's 5 years old.

Stalwart

I like metal, you can roll on another coat of paint at any time. Even with diamond plate, it is slippery when wet, but I don't use it much in bad weather, most MV shows are in the summer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks