• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer it ... what trailer?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only reason you give them a jeep is because they don't have M998 in there system. My insurance company covers what ever I tow, I don't use Uhauls insurance. They are aware of what I am towing and put it in as a jeep as well.

Again I have done this exact thing almost a dozen times now without any issues from Uhaul.
But the Hummer H1 is in their system and isn't allowed to tow it.

Stein12501

I rented a flat trailer to haul mine. Brought it back pulling it with a 3/4 ton dodge from New Jersey and had no problems. They are wide and pretty heavy. Good Luck!!

NCBPhantom

I rented a flat trailer to haul mine. Brought it back pulling it with a 3/4 ton dodge from New Jersey and had no problems. They are wide and pretty heavy. Good Luck!!
I'll be traveling west from Connecticut to Ohio and back. Just trying to do it the most economical and safe way possible. I've done over the road hauling in the military so it won't be my first rodeo.

Stein12501

I too was going to rent the U-Haul trailer but for a long and rough road (Penna Turnpike) I went with a 20' equipment trailer. Cost a little more but for me it was worth it. The hills and turns the thing rode like a champ. The 82" wide wheel base will just barely go between wheel wells and it takes every inch of the U-Haul trailer. They're guys that have done it with no problems but for me I went with the larger trailer. Mine was not a runner so getting it on the trailer was the biggest problem I had. I owned a flatbed and hauled steel so like you it was not my first rodeo either. Just take your time and stop and check it often and you'll have a trip you'll remember for a lifetime.

desmodromic

Would it be easier to use a U-Haul trailer or a larger open deck type trailer? Would be towing with a 1-ton GMC dually.
I have hauled twice with the 7500# Uhaul trailer, once from Fort Meade and again from the Whitehall DLA site (essentially the same route as you). I would definitely opt for a wide deck/deck over equipment trailer. It really is like squeezing a fat girl in a little dress with the uhaul trailer and I cut a sidewall from rubbing on the trailer inner fender. YMMV.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uhaul

Did you read any posts in this thread?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks