• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tranny lube?

ironhorsethegeneral

We use amsoil synthetics in the whole truck, like engine, tranny, diffs, transfer case, and we use synthetic grease in the wheel bearings and we are not having any problems with it. We have been using it in the truck for about 5 years and as we said before we have not had any problems.

M35A2

There seems to be a lot of contradictory advice about what oils to use. I think what you have to remember are those manufacturers spend millions researching what oils suit what systems. If they recommend GL1 oil, then you get GL1 oil. If that's not available, you buy the equivalent oil with the same specifications.

I have always followed the manufacturer’s instructions. These transmissions were designed before all these expensive new oils have been in existence. Stick with good old Hypoid gear oil, it may stink, but it’s good for your gears.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I have found with additives like Moly-Mate or Lucas is they do what they say, things seem quieter and smoother.

They also increase the cling of the oil to the point where it comes out right past any seal in it's way on old trucks like this. Slingers internal to the box just don't sling it off anymore.

"Speedy Sleeves", new yokes and seals, nothing will keep the oil where it belongs. Going back to just straight gear oil, no leaks.

dg

ah1955

tranny lube

I found myself in the gear lube question last week when I went to pick-up my deuce and found ALL the gearboxes drained.
Changed my plan to drive her home and had it hauled on a trailer to a trucking co. yard till I could regroup.
I think Recovry4x4 said it best the lube called for in the TM. has worked for all these years save the money and use the tried and true. Antique truck should use the antique lube.

houdel

The problem with gear oils in older military trucks is that when these trucks were designed the standard commercial gear oils were identified by the commercial spec GL-1. The military spec MT-1 was based on the then current GL-1 commercial spec. As civillian technology advanced, higher performance gear oils were needed to meet the higher loads placed on drive components. The current commercial gear oil spec is GL-5, although GL-1 can sometines still be found.

Whatever gear oil you choose, make sure it states on the container that it meets spec MT-1, which is the original military spec for gear oil. Some gear oils that meet the current commercial GL-5 spec ALSO meet MT-1, some do NOT. The problem is the "yellow metal" (brass/bronze) synchronizers in your tranny and x-fer case. A GL-5 gear oil without the MT-1 spec may contain additives that are not compatible with the yellow metal components and damage them; GL-5 oils that meet MT-1 have additives that are compatible with the yellow metal parts.

For what it is worth, I use Valvoline 85W-140 gear oil; it meets both GL-5 AND MT-1.

rmgill

More specifically with regards to the yellow metal issues, is that the high pressure additives have a particluar type of sulfur compound that attacks bronze/brass/copper that are in some older bearing designs (or the synchros on the deuce transmission) and will eventually destroy those components. Its not the sulfur, its the type of sulfur. Shell has a yellow metal safe product line (Omala gear oils) that has sulfur friction additives in it but are made to be yellow metal safe.

houdel

Thanks Ryan. I knew the additives in the newer oils were a problem, but did not know the specific reason. Now we all know!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked through the book at my local NAPA store today.GL-1 gear oil is available from them in 1or 5 gallon containers. The 5 gallon is napa part #65-205. The price was $36.45. Also, NAPA GL-5 is MT-1 rated.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SixBuy said:
GL-1 was originally spec'ed but is hard to come by. GL-5 is common and what I use. Like Westech said, look for the Mil Spec designation. Stick with a name brand (I like Texaco) and get it from a commercial lubricants warehouse and it runs about $35/5 gal bucket. buy one of the metal bucket pumps at a truck parts house -money well spent. Count on almost two buckets to replace all gear oil. Messy, stinky stuff! Have fun!
Please help me understand. On the reccommendations to go with "MT-1" mil-spec oil for the transmission/transfer, I ordered up some 80W90 GL-5 /MT-1 rated oil conforming to mil spec MIL-L-2015D, MIL-L-2015D. Here's the text from their web page (Warren Oil Company):

"""A mutli-purpose sulfur/phosphorus type gear lubricant designed for API Service Classification “GL-5” and MT-1 capabilities for non-synchronized manual transmission in heavy duty systems. Compounded with highly refined paraffinic base stocks and additives to ensure extreme pressure characteristics, anti-wear, “limited slip”, corrosion inhibition, rust prevention, low pour point, and anti-foaming tendencies. Meets the requirements of U.S. Military Specifications MIL-L-2105D, MIL-L-2105E and Mack GO-G, GO-H and GO-J. Primarily recommended for passenger cars and light trucks."""

I questioned the technical guys at Buckley oil company in Dallas who sell this, and related to them the story of the non-MT-1 oil causing big problems, and they said they certainly didn't want that, and were comfortable this oil is correct. The oil was decanted into 5-gallon pails with naught but MSDS and weight stickers, so I told them I needed the spec sheet to show it is MT-1. I should be well covered, but I don't want to have a horror story to relate later.

This is what I want, right? Right mil-spec? This fall, I go on a 2000 mile trip.

Thanks in advance!
SGT PJ

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After speaking with the chief chemist of Warren oil company, a Mr. Gary Whiteside, I am informed that the Warren 80W90 and 85W140 as mentioned above in the post do meet or exceed the MIL-L-2105 specification called for in the LO as well as having the correct "MT-1" formulation to prevent the corrosion of yellow metals (brass and bronze). Mr. Whiteside assured me that the oil is safe for use in the transmission and tranfer case.

sailor2000

FSBruva said:
wyattearp-

Table 1-2 in TM 9-2320-361-20 says:

4.25 qts in the tranny, no PTO
5.25 qts in the tranny, with PTO
7 qts in the transfercase (with or without PTO)
1 qt in the clutch end of the front winch
1.5 qt in the the worm gear end of the front winch
6 qts in any differential

And all kinds of other info!!

Matt
So that is 7 gallons, 1 1/4 quarts for a full drain and fill for a w/o winch truck?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
when i talked last week with the tech department of TTC who now handles the spicer trans products, they said that 30 to 50 wt motor oil was completely acceptible for the 3053 trans. i also use it in the transfer case. as to oil leaks, with new seals (not nos, they are no good) i don't have any leaks of seepage, and as most of you know i am pushing the limits of these trucks way beyond what they were designed to do.

jesusgatos

We use amsoil synthetics in the whole truck, like engine, tranny, diffs, transfer case, and we use synthetic grease in the wheel bearings and we are not having any problems with it. We have been using it in the truck for about 5 years and as we said before we have not had any problems.
Anybody know what Amsoil part numbers and quantities I'd need to order to change all the fluids in my multifuel Deuce?

emr

I noticed the Dick Channey of the dark side comments in an avetar and think unless we want to talk poitics instead of trucks, this childness should be removed.I do believe these are in the rules of the site, and hope a Moderator chimes in...Randy

Jake0147

Without stepping into the debate about which oil is best, and what if any reprocussions may or may not be present with "alternates" to the oil called out in the TMs, there are two things that I feel should be pointed out-

First, the original recommendation in the TM, the GL-1 rated oil is NOT obsolete and is NOT hard to obtain. GL-2 and GL-3 are obsoleted to GL-4, but GL-4 has not yet obsoleted to GL-5. (I won't be surprised if it does, but it'll take another round of updates. GL-1 has not been obsoleted yet. Why? Well I dunno either. But, I do know that most parts stores have GL-1 on the shelf, and if not it's one day away in their warehouse, no "special ordering" charges or hassles, just ask for it. The difficult part is finding a counter person who will not tell you "you don't want that, this is better..... or telling you "we don't have that" when what they really mean is "I don't remember the part number but we have this other pail of oil right here that would be a lot easier for me to sell to you...." If you decide that you want GL-1 you should get GL-1, and you should not be dissuaded by a counter guy who figures that API just "forgot" to make it obsolete. Worst case scenario, you take the brand that your favorite parts store is selling, spend two minutes on Google, and you can take a part number to the parts store. And hey, nothing beats the feeling of telling a parts guy "see--- I told you that you had that...:-D

Second, in the short time I've been at this site, I've seen it debated over and over, what's right, what's "righter than right" because it's an improvement over the TMs original recommendations. I've seen it in lots of posts and again in this one. It gets thrown out every now and again, but always seems to get blown over and goes relatively ignored. The original correct oil for this transmission is NOT what the TMs call for, the TMs call for an "acceptable substitute" to the original, to match the military's need to minimize the different fluids in use. The original manufacturers recommendation is not gear lube, but 50 weight oil. IMHO if you're going to step away from the TMs in search of "the best of the best", then regardless of the conclusion that you come to, perhaps the original manufacturer's recommendation would be a better starting point as you follow the ratings through the years to come up with a modern equivalent of the original oil.

Anyway, just a couple of things to consider while considering this. I've made my choice as have most of you, and none of you are gonna change my mind any more than I'm going to change yours...:-D

aboonski

Getting ready to stock my lube trailer with fluids and looking over this thread very carefully. I have never changed out the gear lube in any of my components and I imagine it is about time to do so. My truck is a 1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2C. I appreciate all of the information in this thread because I want to be sure I don't dump something into my transmission that will eat away at the synchros! We are fortunate to be living in an area where there are lots of sources for gear oil - Napa, Tractor Supply, Northern Tools, Glover Oil Co. are but a few. I did order two 5-gallon pails of GAA grease from a seller that I got from reading the thread on GAA grease. The messiest part of changing out the gear oil will be the draining process.