• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny worries....

SMOKEWAGON66

Transmission problem....

Well, i pulled the Deuce up into my garage this morning and yanked the passenger seat, and transmission floor covers. Im doing this because i need to change my throw out bearing and probably the clutch disk and pressure plate. As i pulled the covers, I noticed that the truck has apparently thrown a Jackshaft before. But this isnt my concern. I turned the tranny by hand and the noise i had been hearing is in the gearbox itself...not the bellhousing. To hear something grinding just by turning it by hand has really got me concerned. Im gonna pull the lid tomorrow and see if i can see anything. Hopefully the tranny aint done for....:neutral:

Last edited:

RAYZER

you know these trannys used are really cheap,one can be had for about $150.00,why not just replace it with a good used one instead of rebuilding the one thats broken?

SMOKEWAGON66

well i got it out and apart...i dont need to rebuild the whole thing...i just need a new input shaft bearing, bellhousing gasket, lid gasket, throw out and cluthc plate and itll be good as new...pics forthcoming...

SMOKEWAGON66

so...after much searching, looking around, calling people, etc. , can anyone tell me where i can get replacement bearings for the Spicer 3053A ? i want to replace the input shaft bearing rather then just getting a whole other transmission. Anyone?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a very old thread but... find all bearing numbers and specs and also some possible sources mentioned, here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/4026-m35-tranny-input-shaft.html

A typical #6308, type ZNR (Groove & ring and shielded one side), should be easy to locate anywhere, even online. Problem might be finding the heavy duty version with 11 balls like they came from factory...
I do know that NTN has discontinued their BL308 :-(

Edit: :-D .... found out today that NSK still makes them, as well as the smaller version BL307 (countershaft, rear)

G.

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

well the trans is apart and cleaned out. I have a new full gasket set, new cluch disk, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. I found the input shaft bearing but i ran out of funds :( Ill get the fly wheel resurfaced this weekend and the clutch assy. put back in the truck. then ill just be waiting for the bearing so i can put the trans back together and in...really not as hard as i thought it would be :shock:

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

Well the bearing is on its way, the fly wheel has been re-surfaced ( 50$ and barely fit by like a half inch on the shops machine) , and i should start putting it back together this weekend. The new clutch ass'y will go in tomorrow, and ill repack the front bearings on sunday, while waiting for the bearing-which should come on monday. Once it does ill have it driving by sundown :drool:

For my gearbox, im gonna use Lucas oil products high performance 85W-90 as it exceeds the MIL-SPEC, and probably Lucas grease on the hubs, but i havent decided. I still need to get an axle nut socket and some copper RTV for the Trans. adaptor gasket. Ive painted my brake drums with flat black 2000 deg engine paint, and may or may not paint the trans. black too...as most of the paint wore off when i cleaned all the grease off....pics forthcoming...wish me luck! :mrgreen:

SMOKEWAGON66

heres a couple pics....first one is the flywheel on the grinder getting all gussied up for the party, second is the finished product. third one is a nice shiny new clutch ass'y, next is a nicely painted bellhousing, then a painted brake drum. and finally, a cleaned and prepped transmission adapter ring. Tomorrow after i get some supplies at Napa, ill post more pics of progress :beer:

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

Well $#*%*!!!!!!!! I done broke the transmission adapter while tightening it down....The chassis ground strap got up under the lip and when i tightened it up, it cracked 2 big chunks off the adapter....which is made of aluminum-for what reason i will never understand. Anyhow, this was a bone-head rookie mistake and all i can say is be sure you have light when your working so you can see whats happening...this really puts a damper on my plans :cry:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks