• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny worries....

SMOKEWAGON66

Ok so thanks to WillWagner, i have a replacement Trans. Adapter, its been cleaned, inspected, lightly coated with copper RTV spray, and installed. This time i made sure the ground strap was no where near the opening...had light in there, and tapped the adapter in gently with a rubber mallet before tightening any nuts...so all and all successful....now im still waiting on the bearing for the transmission...apparently the delivery driver took today off, even though i was told it would be here monday :| oh well...truck should be mobile by the end of the week now...

Attachments

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

Better than mine looked. :mrgreen:

HOLY COW!!!! lol..if mine looked like that i probably woulda just sold the truck and bought another one.

Ill have some more pic's posted tomorrow, the trans. is all back together now, and ready to be installed. The bearing came this morning and it took me about 45 minutes to re-assemble the tranny...if i didnt have to work today, i would be driving it by now....

spicergear

That tranny was originally a 3052, then regeared in the 70's, then swamped at some point by a NJ water rescue group, then lubricated with a gallon of water and a cup of oil for who knows how long, then frozen solid (right after I bought it), then filled with oil, then put a 600ftlb CAT V8 in front of it for 6 years in my 18,000lb crane truck and used to recover and towbar multiple deuces on average of 32,000lbs gross combination weight. I think these are fairly durable transmissions. [thumbzup] :lol: :mrgreen:

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

I got my new bearing yesterday morning. Took me all of 40 minutes to re-assemble the trans. It is now ready to be put back in and buttoned down. Ill get 'er in there on friday (day off). I should have both front hubs done by then as well so hopefully friday afternoon or saturday morning, ill take it for a spin around the block :) Also I flipped the headlight panels over so they are on top and I should have it completely painted, at least enough to look one solid color. Once i get it out in the sun, ill be able to touch it up and make it look gooood :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

SMOKEWAGON66

Well the transmission is back in, and works like a charm. I had some trouble getting the clutch linkage adjusted right....it didnt work like in the manual, if i put it one spline to the rear of the centerline, then the center of the pin wasnt 3 1/4" from the bellhousing...so i just put it 3 1/4" from the bellhousing and adjusted the connector rod. Putting the hubs back on was a trick for me so i wont say how i did it, until im sure they are set right. once i drive it around the block a few more times i will jack it up and check the bearings again. Anyways heres a few pics..sorry for poor quality.

the last pic is my TM workstation just so all the TM guys can see i really used one LOL

Attachments

Last edited: