• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trans question and transfer case question

prattcobra

I have a 78 813 that i just got and when i downshift from 2nd to first the gears want to grind. If i come to a straight stop its ok shifting from 1st to second.

Also on the transfer case there is a hose with a grease fitting and the hose is leaking something is there anything except greese in there and what is it for? the hose is cracked.. I just got this from oshkosh and there is a few things I need to get addressed.. They also put a valve stem on that is too long and I can't check the air pressure or add air since it at the brake drum. There is onlt one wheel like this.
i wonder if it will be easy to fix.

I also have a wheel cylinder that is leaking since they said they put all new. WTF.. I'm pissed is it easy to replace that myself looks like I will be doing the repair..

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 78 813 that i just got and when i downshift from 2nd to first the gears want to grind. If i come to a straight stop its ok shifting from 1st to second.
I normally don't even use first gear. With normal, prudent driving, I down shift fourth to third (and in high range) and with a light application of brakes I come to nice easy stop. While idling at a stoplight, I take the truck out of gear and release the clutch. When the light turns green I depress the clutch, engage second gear, release (don't slip it too much or just dump it0 the clutch and with a little accelerator off we go.

I don't shift into first gear when moving; it's just to low. I don't want any thing flying through the windshield especially my passenger's or my head.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the line on the xcase is the speedometer cable, the part with the the grease fitting the speed-o adaptor, if it is leaking gear oil, it is either not tight or the seal is bad

for the valve stem, if tube tires, tube needs to be changed

yes you can change the wheel cylinder your self, be careful, the drum is heavy, check to make sure the leak is brake fluid, it might be gear oil because of a bad seal or clogged vent

prattcobra

the line on the xcase is the speedometer cable, the part with the the grease fitting the speed-o adaptor, if it is leaking gear oil, it is either not tight or the seal is bad

for the valve stem, if tube tires, tube needs to be changed

yes you can change the wheel cylinder your self, be careful, the drum is heavy, check to make sure the leak is brake fluid, it might be gear oil because of a bad seal or clogged vent

looks like the hose is cracked near the fitting and its ozzing out

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"I just got this from oshkosh"
I thought they advertise gone though trucks, that is why the price is so high, I told them years ago that I could get THREE trucks for what they were asking for there's, got a nasty note, back saying yes that is true, BUT not in the condition of there trucks that has been completely gone though and that there price was a fair price for the redone condition of the truck

prattcobra

it locks in but pops out after a while. I look \ed and the linkage and it fully engages. I tried to call them already this morning. I wonder how long it would take to swap it out?

There is some parts they have to send me. they did not change winshield and door seals they are all bad. washer fluid plastic switch busted. the gear hose leaking, vavle stem on rear wheel to long plus the brakes leaking on 2 wheels.. I'm a little pissed. After I paid them good moiney. We will have to see how they take car of these problems.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
"I just got this from oshkosh"
I thought they advertise gone though trucks, that is why the price is so high, I told them years ago that I could get THREE trucks for what they were asking for there's, got a nasty note, back saying yes that is true, BUT not in the condition of there trucks that has been completely gone though and that there price was a fair price for the redone condition of the truck

Some people's idea of completely "gone through": Checked all fluid levels

Other people's idea of completely "gone through": All 3 axles rebuilt with new barings, seals, tranny and transfer rebuilt with new bearings, synchros, washers, etc.

At O$hkosh prices, it ought to be the latter.

prattcobra

they are telling me on the phone Casey will take care of it. We will have to wait and see. I sent him an email with pics too.

They said it didnt do that for them.. is their comment.

70deuce

Oshkosh guys ought to take care of this quick or lose a bunch of respect/business from a lagre number of people they probably want to do business with. Keep us posted.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Oshkosh advertises here and also has a bunch of FREE adds in the classifides

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks