• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case PTO

near the bottom on the back it looks like a bolt hole . there is two check valves one at the transfer case and one at the pto just springs and balls you will need them

housemover

I was not aware there was a 5ton transfer pto avalible. What do they come on where can one be located? I am aware of the deuce transfer ptos and assume they are diffrent is that correct?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If the xcase pto lube setup is NOT USED, you will burn up the xcase if it is run in neutral

wreckers, the m815 have them

Last edited:

jwaller

I was not aware there was a 5ton transfer pto avalible. What do they come on where can one be located? I am aware of the deuce transfer ptos and assume they are diffrent is that correct?

drives the dump pto I believe and the rear winch on the 816. or I could be wrong and they are off the transmission.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the dump is off the trans, the rear winch and hyd. for the crane is off the xcase

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wreckers use a different t-case PTO. It bolts in the same place as the other t-case PTO but is engaged all the time (you can't shift it in and out of gear). Wreckers do their shifting in the power divider. The wrecker PTO sends power to the power divider any time the foot clutch is out. Atleast that's the way a M62 is set up ( I was under one last week).

I do think a deuce (shiftable) PTO will fit a 5-ton though.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a 5t xcase pto shifts in and out, on the wreckers, the power divider lever does the engaging, on the m815 and the m246/ m819, there is a control lever in the cab, to the left of the trans
the power divider is driven off the pto, the shifting for the crane or winch is controled from the rear

On page 513 of the G-744p (TM ord 9 snl G-744) shows the xcase pto and the shift plus oil pump and parts

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I do think a deuce (shiftable) PTO will fit a 5-ton though.
Now that's an interesting Q....! ARE they INTERCHANGEABLE...?????, except maybe for the drive clutch part mounted to the splined rear end of the input shaft. Or are both T-case's input shafts even built identical at that end???
(speaking of 2.5 vs 5ton TC- PTOs, obviously)

G.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that's an interesting Q....! ARE they INTERCHANGEABLE...?????, except maybe for the drive clutch part mounted to the splined rear end of the input shaft. Or are both T-case's input shafts even built identical at that end???
(speaking of 2.5 vs 5ton TC- PTOs, obviously)

G.
The best I can tell, they look the same from the outside. They only 5-ton t-case PTO I've seen I couldn't get a very good look at it though so I could be wrong.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a 5t xcase pto shifts in and out, on the wreckers, the power divider lever does the engaging, on the m815 and the m246/ m819, there is a control lever in the cab, to the left of the trans
the power divider is driven off the pto, the shifting for the crane or winch is controled from the rear

On page 513 of the G-744p (TM ord 9 snl G-744) shows the xcase pto and the shift plus oil pump and parts
hmm. That's different than a M62. I would have figured they were all the same. The reason I was under the M62 was to shatch the t-case PTO. As I got to looking at it, I realized that it didn't have a shift lever. The in-cab shifter went directly to the power divider. I ended up leaving the PTO but I may go back and grab it and the power divider. I'm thinking the power divider could be useful as a deuce mod.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a 5t xcase pto shifts in and out, on the wreckers,
the power divider lever does the engaging, on the m815 and the m246/ m819, there is a control lever in the cab, to the left of the trans

On page 513 of the G-744p (TM ord 9 snl G-744) shows the xcase pto plus oil pump and parts
I was WRONG about the M62 xcase pto, M16ty was RIGHT about the shifting, SORRY, I need to LOOK at more pics ( ill learn to READ later) before I jump.:oops:

The m246/m819 and the m815 have pto shifts

hmm. That's different than a M62. I would have figured they were all the same. The reason I was under the M62 was to shatch the t-case PTO. As I got to looking at it, I realized that it didn't have a shift lever. The in-cab shifter went directly to the power divider. I ended up leaving the PTO but I may go back and grab it and the power divider. I'm thinking the power divider could be useful as a deuce mod.
I sure hope they are the same ( the output spline on the Deuce transfer case vs the 5 ton ) My PTO has a lever on it for a mechanical in and out. I plan on using the 5 ton PTO and 5 ton winch on the rear of my Deuce. How could a power divider be useful ? I guess I really don't even know what one is. I've never seen one.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The power divider on the wreckers powers a hyd pump for the crane and also sends power to the back for the rear winch. It would give you two outputs off of the t-case pto. I don't really know what I'd need two outputs for but it opens up alot of options.

jimbo*

So, did anyone figure out whether or not the duece and five ton PTO's are the same or different.
The outputs are opposite each other, so the linkage will need modification, and the oil lines are different, but are the drive gears the same?
I would really like to know before I pull my duece apart to find out.

I bought a 5 ton transfer pto a few years a go from Memphis Equipment and I asked them and they said they are different . I was hoping some one that has seen both would come forward and maybe show pictures

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen both a deuce and a 5-ton t-case PTO. I will say that the outward appearance looks like they would interchange but they are different.

The only 5-ton PTO I've seen was on a M62 wrecker. That PTO (as mentioned above) isn't shiftable. I don't know what 5-tons (if any) has a shiftable t-case PTO. The only way you could make a M62 t-case PTO useable would be to also use the power divider.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks