• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case PTO

the 5 ton pto I bought from Memphis has a lever to shift it in or out of gear the out put shaft is tapered to take a sprocket or a yoke for a drive line . I don't know what truck they where used on ?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the 246/819, 815 Xcase pto has the shift, the 820 with the lift gate may also have one

Coldfusion21

Never owned a vehicle with a PTO (and still dont) but i have a question about them and this seems like a good place to ask:

What is the difference (in use) between a transfer case pto and say a transmission pto? I assume they vary on when they can be engaged but im not really sure.

Thanks,

Jared

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the trans pto only has the speeds built in to the pto-- for example a low and high and reverse, or just a one speed, ect, the xcase pto has no speeds that can be changed but uses the trans for its different speeds and direction

Last edited:
PTO oil pump

a 5t xcase pto shifts in and out, on the wreckers, the power divider lever does the engaging, on the m815 and the m246/ m819, there is a control lever in the cab, to the left of the trans
the power divider is driven off the pto, the shifting for the crane or winch is controled from the rear

On page 513 of the G-744p (TM ord 9 snl G-744) shows the xcase pto and the shift plus oil pump and parts
Do you know of a source for parts on the pump? The spring behind the piston is trashed. I don't have the check valves for the oil line either.
thanks

1quikpony

no they will not interchange. The size of the mounting is larger on the 5 ton. I tried to install one off an m35 on to my m54 and difinately will not bolt up.

fasttruck

PHOTO OF PTO FOR m 817 WITH WINCH: BOTH APPLIANCES DRIVE OFF ONE PTO ON RIGHT SIDE OF TRANSMISSION
OPERATED FROM MAIN SHAFT. WORKS WITH TRANS IN GEAR OR NEUTRAL. OTHER PHOTO IS OF REAR POWER DIVIDER FOR m 816: RUNS OFF TRANSFER CASE WHICH MUST BE IN NEUTRAL AND TRANSMISSION IN DIRECT DRIVE. CAN RUN EITHER REAR WINCH OR CRANE BUT NOT BOTH AT ONCE. M 816 ALSO HAS A SINGLE DRIVE PTO ON TRANS FOR FRONT WINCH WHICH CAN BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH XCASE GOODIES IF REQUIRED.

Attachments

dlc

You guys sound like you know PTO's and I am looking to help outmy fire dept. with a pto problem. We have a 800 series 5 ton (had flat bed on it) that we would like to mount a Waterous 500GPM CP3 pto pump. Question is what do we need to look for in a PTO? What direction do they go and at what speed? We can get parts from Forestery dept. but I need to know what it is we are looking for. Thanks for any help.

1quikpony

ok. you can use either a trsnsmission mounted pto or transfercase mounted pto. the transfercase pto will have 5 forward speeds and 1 reverse speed, you just use the transmission to select the gear you want. it will turn the same direction as the engine in forward gears and opposite of engine in reverse. the speed in 4th gear will be equal to engine rpm, 5th gear will be slightly faster because it is an overdrive. if you use a transmission mounted pto you will have 2 forward speeds and 1 reverse, you will shift the pto itself to change speed or direction, i am not sure of the ratio to engine rpm of the transmission mounted pto. I would personally try to find a transfercase mounted pto. however ther are 2 different versions of the transfercase mounted pto for the 5 tons. 1 version is always engaged and needs a power divider to disengage whatever it is driving. the other version is the one you would want, it can be disengaged with a lever similar to a m35.

1quikpony

oh ya, one more thing. if you use a transmission mounted pto you will need a dual output pto or you can switch the output to the rear. most of the transmission mounted pto units are used to run a front mounted winch .

jsthnt@gmail.com

I have taken posession of General Granite. It started out as an M530B. It has a transfercase pto. I do not see a way to shut it off. And there is a cap or hydrolic fitting missing on the top of it. What goes there and how do I shut it off.
thanks

The fitting on top should be for a oil line that comes from the bottom of the T case .this pto may like the ones off of a wrecker it turns all the time .

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have taken posession of General Granite. It started out as an M530B. It has a transfercase pto. I do not see a way to shut it off. And there is a cap or hydrolic fitting missing on the top of it. What goes there and how do I shut it off.
thanks
This is a deuce, wrong fourm, should have a throw arm to move the sliding jaw clutch, don't believe that the deuce xcase has a consent running pto like some 5Ts

Last edited:

KsM715

Now that's an interesting Q....! ARE they INTERCHANGEABLE...?????, except maybe for the drive clutch part mounted to the splined rear end of the input shaft. Or are both T-case's input shafts even built identical at that end???
(speaking of 2.5 vs 5ton TC- PTOs, obviously)

G.
no they will not interchange. The size of the mounting is larger on the 5 ton. I tried to install one off an m35 on to my m54 and difinately will not bolt up.
Somehow I missed this part when I was reading the thread the other day.

1quikpony is correct. The 5ton transfercase is larger :)doh: duh) I picked up a deuce T-case PTO yesterday and pulled the cover on the M818 this morning to see if it would fit. Everything on the 5ton is larger. The following was done with a box store caliper so don't take these measurments to the machine shop. The deuce shaft is 1 3/4" outside to outside on the splines and the 5ton is 1 15/16". The splines on the deuce are 7/16" and 1/2" on the 5ton. Like quikpony said the diameter or the mounting holes is larger on the 5ton than the deuce.

So if your going to buy a T-case PTO for either the deuce or a 5ton make sure you know which one your getting. They are not interchangable.

There will be a DEUCE t-case PTO in the classifieds shortly. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=9620

Attachments

Last edited: