• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Shifter Hard to put in High

Dasgog

Hello

From the neutral setting I find it pretty stiff to push the lever into High Gears but it does go. Back to neutral and from neutral to low is buttery smooth.
Is there a grease fitting for this down below or is this not uncommon? The vehicle runs and performs as should it’s simply the rough /resistive force when pushing lever from neutral to High.

Any suggestions?
Transfer Case, Trans fluids have been changed as well and are full.

HDN

My transfer case does the same thing. It was hard for me to learn where neutral is on it since it feels like high range has a couple detents, which it actually doesn't. The LO doesn't show another grease fitting for the thing. I'm tempted to see it's a normal thing, but I'd like to say others chime in.

dmetalmiki

It seems to vary truck to truck.
Some of ours shift like silk, Others like the wrecker will not shift for love nor money.
And we have everything possible to make the shift work more easily.
Actually when it gets nice and warm shifting is possible with double clutching and getting the RPMs just right.

HDN

Is it possible to shift ranges while the truck is moving? The gear speed limit dataplate makes it seem like it's possible, but I've only ever been able to shift it while the truck is stationary.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible to shift ranges while the truck is moving? The gear speed limit dataplate makes it seem like it's possible, but I've only ever been able to shift it while the truck is stationary.
This guy can do it!

BDGR

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Pull the tunnel covers and inspect all under there and grease it all. Maybe (probably) will find loose bolts on jackshaft and many grease fittings not seen in years and years.
Since you inspecting transfer case linkages it would then be time to lube and tighten all that too. One will find loose fasteners on components to clean and tighten. It is in TM's
IMG_1338.JPG

Attachments

Dasgog

My transfer case does the same thing. It was hard for me to learn where neutral is on it since it feels like high range has a couple detents, which it actually doesn't. The LO doesn't show another grease fitting for the thing. I'm tempted to see it's a normal thing, but I'd like to say others chime in.
a moving lever with no grease?! Talk about a recipe. I wonder does it utilize the gear oil from transfer case?

HDN

I never realized double-clutching affected transfer cases. I can't double-clutch my automatic, though :p I'll have to pull the doghouse at some point and take a closer look.

HDN

You can definitely shift while moving. It is designed to be able to be shifted while driving.
The lever won't budge when I'm driving it. Perhaps something's busted inside the machinery? I'm not planning on shifting ranges on the go, but I like it when stuff is set up to work properly!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have double clutched everything I have driven.
My VW in Germany had a 1949 crashbox, no syhnchros, always DC.
My '51 Chevy liked it and my 6 speed MGB liked it.

Why do you think that when you lend your TR6 to a girl it takes her about 12 minutes to completley wipe all the bronze synchros? There is a lesson in here someplace.
I drove every gearbox Army truck double clutching always. Now one knows why I laugh at the military for going with a "modified Deuce" with a straight diesel and automatic. Couldn't even draft anybody that knew how to drive.
OK, I'm done.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello

From the neutral setting I find it pretty stiff to push the lever into High Gears but it does go. Back to neutral and from neutral to low is buttery smooth.
Is there a grease fitting for this down below or is this not uncommon? The vehicle runs and performs as should it’s simply the rough /resistive force when pushing lever from neutral to High.

Any suggestions?
Transfer Case, Trans fluids have been changed as well and are full.
What model truck do you have? All M35 trucks with a manual transmission can be shifted in and out of hi and low range while driving. However, M35A3 trucks are equipped with an Allison automatic transmission and require being stopped and the transmission in neutral to shift the transfer case.

HDN

What model truck do you have? All M35 trucks with a manual transmission can be shifted in and out of hi and low range while driving. However, M35A3 trucks are equipped with an Allison automatic transmission and require being stopped and the transmission in neutral to shift the transfer case.
THANK YOU FOR CONFIRMING THAT! Now I know there's one less thing wrong with my truck (y) I guess that data plate about the range downshift speed limits was a holdover from a previous life!

Dasgog

hello

it is a 72 M35A2. Really I only notice this is when I first turn it on and let it warm up. I usually start off in high gear range but like I said when I first move it into high I have to force it. Coming out of high to neutral or low is buttery smooth . Only hard from neutral to high gear. Maybe it’s normal I mean it drives fine no burn smells or weird sound. Really was just wondering maybe if I needed to grease anything where it shifts the gears low to high.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
However, M35A3 trucks are equipped with an Allison automatic transmission and require being stopped and the transmission in neutral to shift the transfer case.
I could shift my A3 on the fly from low to high just had to wait longer for the rpm to drop and the forward momentum of the drive train to let go just a bit. I also tried dropping the shifter into neutral but there is no reason really to go from low to high on an A3. Low only when off road ruff terrain. High range for solid ground.
With the A2 going from high to low I wait till I have to come to a stop for any reason and just before the truck comes to a complete stop but wheels still turning just a bit then switch to low range. Slips right in and I am ready to go in low range when ready. Just as a side note my Air Force IH 5 ton manual has double clutching the range if there is a problem with truck or driver skills.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This guy can do it!

BDGR
He was not split shifting. He ran through all the low gears and did just what we do. Go from 5th low to 4th high then 5th high. If he would have dropped to 3rd high it would be a wrong down shift. 3rd high has less ground speed than 5th low. He would maybe overrevved the engine. To me there is no split shifting these transmissions. I do not ever go from high to low in less the truck is moving very slowly and for some reason I need low range. To me split shifting is on a manual transmission where we split one gear. So 8th high would be 7 1/2 high splitting the gear.

HDN

With the way I drive my deuce, I can't think of any situation that I would want to shift from low range to high range on the fly.

Why do I have to shift the transmission into neutral to switch ranges in the transfercase? Is there some kind of lockout? Is this the same with the A2s?

Edit: had a duh moment about automatic transmissions still being in gear even when stopped by service brakes.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
hello

it is a 72 M35A2. Really I only notice this is when I first turn it on and let it warm up. I usually start off in high gear range but like I said when I first move it into high I have to force it. Coming out of high to neutral or low is buttery smooth . Only hard from neutral to high gear. Maybe it’s normal I mean it drives fine no burn smells or weird sound. Really was just wondering maybe if I needed to grease anything where it shifts the gears low to high.
Never "force" into gear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks