• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case will not unlock

Jayson

Hello!

I have a 1986 M998, looking for your any help i can get. Drives like its in HL when in H. Low works, neutral works, HL also works. I shift the T-case when the trans is in neutral. I have re adjusted the linkage and it is solidly engaging each selection. I have tried to get it to unlock by driving in reverse as well. Before i condemn the T-case i wanted to be sure i am not overlooking something, Thank you.

I wanted to also mention that the T-case is very clean, with fresh anaerobic sealer on it. It looks like someone recently had it apart so there is the possibility that it was a bad rebuild.

*Update* I spoke with the owner and the transfer case was recently worked on at a local dealer. I temporarily removed the front drive shaft so the differential does not get damaged from the wheels binding up. Hopefully they will stand behind their work and fix it. Thanks

Last edited:

darkturbo

Stupid question of the day: How do you know if it is locked in HL? Mine been driving like it dragging on something ... thanks

someoldmoose

I have seen this same problem in at LEAST three other threads. Upper right corner of the page . . . search box. HHMWV transfer case, ENTER.

Or just move the selector out of LOCK and back up ( hey !! just like it says to do in the Operator's Manual TM, AMAZING )

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks