• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer drain plug leak

FLINT

Hey guys,

I recently changed all my fluids, and now I have a slow leak out of the drain plug on the transfer case.

I tightened the plug up some more yesterday and that slowed it more, but its still slowly leaking (very slow now - like a few drips overnight).

I didn't want to tighten it too much as the t-case looks like its aluminum, and the plug is steel and I wanted to be cautious.

what do you recommend?

Should I try to put a rubber washer or something on that plug - although to removed the plug I'd loose all the fluid

my truck is a 1028

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or replace the gasket/seal on the drain plug. And tighten it properly.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick look at the -34P tm shows the part number(GM) and that the fill and drain plugs are the same.

A quick google search for the part number 14037987 will get a visual on the real part and its seal ring.

Gotta love them TMs!:doghead:

Attachments

Last edited:
In a pinch, an old trick we used to do was back the plug out just about 1/16th to 1/8th inch and wrap the heck out of it with the teflon tape. Just pull a little, wrap it like string around the plug as snug around the exposed threads as you can get it and use plenty of it. Then re-tighten the plug. That should stop the drip, but if it doesn't you're back to removing the plug, draining into a clean container and re-using it.
:driver:

FLINT

Thanks guy,

actually, for some reason, my drain plug doesn't have a washer/gasket/seal on it, but the fill plug does -

What if I just switched the plugs?

seems like the fill plug doesn't need the washer as urgently as the drain plug

then in the mean time I can look into getting a new plug and/or plug/gasket from a GM dealer.

FLINT

ok, yeah, good point

the guy at autozone said I had to get the gasket from chevy - I asked if they had generic ones and he said yes, but didn't know what size i needed.

I'll just take in the fill plug and get a gasket.

thanks