• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer drain plug leak

FLINT

Hey guys,

I recently changed all my fluids, and now I have a slow leak out of the drain plug on the transfer case.

I tightened the plug up some more yesterday and that slowed it more, but its still slowly leaking (very slow now - like a few drips overnight).

I didn't want to tighten it too much as the t-case looks like its aluminum, and the plug is steel and I wanted to be cautious.

what do you recommend?

Should I try to put a rubber washer or something on that plug - although to removed the plug I'd loose all the fluid

my truck is a 1028

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or replace the gasket/seal on the drain plug. And tighten it properly.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick look at the -34P tm shows the part number(GM) and that the fill and drain plugs are the same.

A quick google search for the part number 14037987 will get a visual on the real part and its seal ring.

Gotta love them TMs!:doghead:

Attachments

Last edited:
In a pinch, an old trick we used to do was back the plug out just about 1/16th to 1/8th inch and wrap the heck out of it with the teflon tape. Just pull a little, wrap it like string around the plug as snug around the exposed threads as you can get it and use plenty of it. Then re-tighten the plug. That should stop the drip, but if it doesn't you're back to removing the plug, draining into a clean container and re-using it.
:driver:

FLINT

Thanks guy,

actually, for some reason, my drain plug doesn't have a washer/gasket/seal on it, but the fill plug does -

What if I just switched the plugs?

seems like the fill plug doesn't need the washer as urgently as the drain plug

then in the mean time I can look into getting a new plug and/or plug/gasket from a GM dealer.

FLINT

ok, yeah, good point

the guy at autozone said I had to get the gasket from chevy - I asked if they had generic ones and he said yes, but didn't know what size i needed.

I'll just take in the fill plug and get a gasket.

thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks