• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission and Transfer Case fluid capacity

mr.travo

Well, when you know how much it takes and it takes more than "recommended", then you might have a problem. I hear you on the dipstick thing. The tranny fluid is always so hard for me to see at what level it's at. That's why I like to know the factory capacity so I know I am in the ballpark.

Barrman

Figure on buying 2 gallons of ATF if you are dropping the pan and replacing the filter. Button it back up, add a gallon, fire it up, let it get warm, put it in all the gears for a few seconds and then check. You will probably end up adding in another 2 quarts or real close to that amount. Now, you have 1-2 quarts left over to top off the power steering system, tcase and your other vehicles.

DokWatson

Figure on buying 2 gallons of ATF if you are dropping the pan and replacing the filter. Button it back up, add a gallon, fire it up, let it get warm, put it in all the gears for a few seconds and then check. You will probably end up adding in another 2 quarts or real close to that amount. Now, you have 1-2 quarts left over to top off the power steering system, tcase and your other vehicles.
:ditto:

Don't understand all the fear of exactly how much to put in. The enemy of these systems is HEAT, caused by friction. You won't hurt anything being a little over full. I'd rather be a little full, than a little empty. A few QUARTS too full, yeah you over did it and need to get some back out. The engine and transmission don't like the extra pressure, and will blow seals out.

Transmission and engine oil are the two that require some sense of how much to put in. Its pretty hard to overfill the differentials, unless you went in through the breather or something. Same idea with the T-case, fill it till the hole. Hard to overfill the power steering, it will very obviously overflow when the cap is put back in.

If you take the top fill plug out of your transfer case, and fluid starts shooting out...you have a T-case to transmission gasket problem. Thats the only reason I can think of that would cause a transmission to take more than 'recommended'. Other than that, fill stuff till its full and to spec.

86k10

I filled up my TC to where it started to come out the fill plug, I'm wondering now if I should take some out. One thing I've always wondered is why should the transmission be checked when hot? and how long does it take after you have done a refill for the torque converter to be filled so an accurate reading can be taken from the dip stick.
Thanks

No you should not take any out. The 208 has it's oil pump right on the output shaft and they need to be filled to the plug to keep the pump in oil. I've even seen articles as to filling it above the plug some. But they do hold 5 quarts and don't worry about overfilling it a little.

chief1983

I just had my transmission serviced while I had a mechanic replacing a flex plate. I thought he was nuts to want to put in almost 2 gallons of ATF when the LO stated 4.0 quarts, but I guess I'm not the only one confused. Anyway, it's supposed to be checked hot on the dipstick, while running, but I'm having a bugger of a time telling if it's anywhere near the right level doing that. I read a post, that I can't find now, where someone mentioned that the ATF in the transmission should be just below the vacuum modulator? I parked it on level ground and pulled the modulator, and quite a bit of fluid came out. I've also seen posts mentioning that changing the modulator needs to be done quickly because the fluid will come out, so I'm not sure that was very good advice. Is that modulator guide at all correct? I was suspicious because it seemed like ATF was starting to seep out around the transmission after filling it with nearly 7 quarts and I was afraid it had damaged or destroyed seals, but I still couldn't tell for sure how much was really registering on the dipstick. Is there a rough idea for how much above or below full it should be when cold? It sticks to the dipstick much better then.

Edit: Found the reference for that modulator level check, wasn't even on this site: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/p...85128-gm-th400-fluid-capacity.html#post251068

Last edited:

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all I know this is an old post but wanted to know if there are any gotcha's you'd like to relay? I'm planning on trying to replace the filter and fluid in my 1986 M1009 next spring. Have not done something like this since late 70's LOL

cucvrus

Don't try. Do it. It is very easy no special skills required. Just a big pan to catch the fluid. A 1/4" ratchet and a 13 MM socket is all you need. Good Luck Merry Christmas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks