• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission or Transfer case noises?

Jack Lope

In two wheel drive, when taking off from a stop, occasionally there is what seems like a gear slipping and then metal clanging together noise. Is sounds like transfer case, but I have no idea. Also, if put the truck in reverse, keeping foot on brake, then to park, there's a grinding sound... kinda like the sound if you put a car in park before you're completely stopped, except not as loud. These symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

Last edited:

Nate475

I'm not sure if this will help you but after the first 9,000 miles my truck began making a horrible sound, like metal grinding from the transmission. I couldn't find anything wrong but the transmission shop did. It was so loud by the time I took it to the shop that the shop counter guy was on his way out the door when I pulled in because he thought the sound was caused by a shop accident next door to this office. All of my flywheel bolts where uniformly loose. Apparently the military had the transmission out and didn't tighten the bolts which were rubbing as the flywheel spun. Your description sounds exactly like what I was experiencing. The sound started out as just a rattle and then in no time it was extremely loud as the bolts loosened even more. I would take off the flywheel housing and check all of your flywheel bolts and the flywheel itself and begin your search there. It could be loose bolts or a cracked flywheel. My loose bolts luckily didn't cause any damage, just $200 worth of damage on my wallet.