• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tried the $35 WalMart LED light kit yet?

3dAngus

I'm getting ready to install some 12vdc lights, in addition to, my 24vdc lights on my M101's and M105 trailers. I noticed wal mart has some new led lights out for trailers that are on-line purchase only, meaning they are not in the stores yet. These LED lights increase your visibility and braking, so they say.

The problem is, I don't see any mounting brackets. I see one for a license plate light and bracket, but nothing on the plastic light casing. There is a 23' split flat 4 pin wiring harness which should be plenty long enough for either of these trailers. Anyway I'm taking a chance and already ordered a set and will try it out and report back. Just wondering if anyone else has gone throught the same set and have any advice for me. Shipping to the house was $0.97
Yeah, less than a dollar. How do they do that?

(BTW, I submitted my EUC on the 19th, it came back approved by BC today, the 31st. This is on my M105 carpenters trailer.) Pretty darn fast!

The light kit can be viewed here...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/12-Volt-LED-Trailer-Tail-Light-Kit/14562255

Last edited:

3dAngus

I'll check. Can they beat the $35 price, with the wiring harness? Thanks.

OK, back again. I checked. They are sweet.

What I am trying to do is go with all new lighting and no adapters, which are very costly. I plan on putting my whole new set of lights on each trailer, with seperate wiring harness. This is the most economical way I have found, not that it is going to work yet, and will probably stick with it. The lights on ebay are great though.

Probably my biggest problem is where to attach them. But for $35, I can afford a set for every trailer I own, and keep the original lights and wiring harness intact. I'm hoping for a 15 minute install, wiring harness and all, after tools are out and in place.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get a pair shipped for under $50 use existing wiring ,just make a adapter for civy wiring or military plug on civy vehicel . Plus keeps the milary look and less things to break.

Nonotagain

The lights pictured appear to be just like the Lazer brand lights that they were selling a few months back.

My local Wally World had Petersen brand, made in USA, LED lights on blow out for $35 with the two amber marker lights for less than the Lazer brand.

I made a set of brackets and mounted them below the rear fenders on my M105A3 trailer. The local inspection station would not pass the trailer until I mounted marker lights in in addition to having lights that were certified for a trailer over 80 inches wide.

I have since removed that set of lights and mounted a set of Optronics low profile LED lights on the M105A3 and am using the Petersen lights for my magnetic tow lights.

As a side note, some states won't allow you to have lights that are non-functional, meaning that having one set of lights for 12 volt and a second set for 24 volt are a no-no.

The Grote military lights seen on eBay are the way to go with making a simple hook up into the junction block for the flat 4 connector.

tomcata3

I bought a set from Tractor supply $30, work on 12 and 24 volt, i'm going to wire up the four pin to a tail so I can use on my pick-up or m35a3. Does any have a extra 24volt trailer harness tail / plug ?

3dAngus

Looks like I'm going to have one shortly. I can remove one from my M101A3s based on what Nonot said where having two sets of lights is illegal in some states. My M105 might have to go with an adapter and leds for both voltages according to what Porky said, but given a choice on the M101A3s, these are going to be pickup truck trailers and tow great, so I can just go with the 12vdc and remove the old ones.

If interested in the connector or the entire harness, PM me with an offer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a mil plug on my burb. Hindsight is 20/20. I wished I had just mounted the mil plug on a bracket attached to my pintle receiver head and put a 4 flat on the back. That way I could use it on anything. All my trailers are getting the Grote lights, even the M105s. Even have Grotes on my tow lights.

Nonotagain

Probably my biggest problem is where to attach them. But for $35, I can afford a set for every trailer I own, and keep the original lights and wiring harness intact. I'm hoping for a 15 minute install, wiring harness and all, after tools are out and in place.
3dAngus,

Tonight is your lucky night.

I measured the Grote military lights mounting holes and they are 2" center to center.

The aftermarket trailer lights studs are also 2" center to center. There are only two studs per light.

The holes on the present trailer lighting brackets will work fine if you remove the mil lights to mount the aftermarket lights.

ke5eua

I bought a set from Tractor supply $30, work on 12 and 24 volt, i'm going to wire up the four pin to a tail so I can use on my pick-up or m35a3. Does any have a extra 24volt trailer harness tail / plug ?
Tomcat, do you know what p/n it was. I'm looking at a tow set I can pickup that will work out of the box on 24v.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much are replacement LED bulbs? I didn't think they were that much-like $5-6 each? Couldn't you just replace the incondecent bulbs with a LED and be done? (it's been several years since I bought any).

ke5eua

How much are replacement LED bulbs? I didn't think they were that much-like $5-6 each? Couldn't you just replace the incondecent bulbs with a LED and be done? (it's been several years since I bought any).
If I have to order the bulbs might as well order a direct omni volt system.

I might just order a set of tail lights for about 25 bucks on flea bay and build a bracket and cable to accomplish what I need.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Tractor Supply brand is Blazer 12v LED lights, but I made a civilian/military tow light set with some scrap angle iron from a round bale feeder the horses destroyed. Even though it stated 12v and not multivolt, it has worked fine for over 9 hours (440 miles) of travel, and about 6 hours was fulltime after dark while recovering two M818s. Of course, they could die after 10 hours, but they work great now. I'm using the 4-flat wire to tie into the military plug as discribed numerous times here. I think they cost around $44 a set of the bolt on. Couldn't find any magnetic Blazer LED light sets.

These photos are for a tractor, but for cargo trucks, I just need to flip the lights on the angle iron and use the C-clamps to attach to bumperettes. This setup is a lot easier to use than the military tow light set with the straps and heavy cables.

IMAG0008.jpgIMAG0004 (2).jpgIMAG0001 (2).jpgIMAG0010.jpgIMAG0009.jpg
I apologize for the crappy photos, I need a decent camera.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...ailer-light-kit-for-trailers-under-80-in-wide

Last edited: