• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troubleshooting: M1009 - Replaced IP, Now running slow

I_Publius

OK...I broke down and had a diesel mechanic work on my 09. He replaced the IP with a rebuilt Standyne from my local diesel injection rebuilding shop. (They were recommended to me; old school shop)

Well...my mechanic calls me this afternoon after taking her on a test run and tells me that in third gear, she won't go over 45 mph now.

This problem was not there before bringing it in.

Question to you guys: Where do I even begin to tell the guy to start looking for issues? I pointed him here to this site, so hopefully he'll come look and get ideas of where to start looking, but in the meantime, I want to get ideas tonight, if possible.

Suggestions on areas to point him?

thanks!

I_Publius

That's a good question to ask.
Ya know...I always kick myself when I don't do these jobs myself! Darn work...always getting in the way!

at least if I did it myself, I only have myself to blame!

I_Publius

Well..they tinkered with the timing yesterday and I haven't heard back from them as of this morning. They have now had my truck for one week.

For any of you guys that have your own small business and deal with customers and service, here's a word of advice...give your customers a daily update, even if it's bad news. This will help in the long run. As it is, customers who give money for a service start to get impatient when they don't hear anything about their project, especially one that is only supposed to take half a day to a full day to complete. Over communication is a good thing.

I_Publius

Well, I got a call this morning. They tell me that the IP I brought them is not working, so...they will take it off, over the next couple of days, when they get caught up on their other projects, and then give it to me, so that the IP mechanic can repair it. This means at least another week.

I swear....

I_Publius

I spoke with the gentlemen who built the IP and he seems to think that it is one of the fuel lines causing the issue, so I am working to get the mechanic and the builder on a call to discuss further. It seems that these old school diesels are a different breed than the new ones today and the mechanics that work on one can't automatically work on the other. I know..I know...many of you have said as much, but I had to learn it on my own.

Why aren't there shops that specialize in working on old engines?!! You would think that there would be and would be fairly common, but I guess that ain't the case. ;(

I_Publius

I had to go fight with a dishonest mechanic and have my truck towed to a true diesel shop today.

The mechanic, located almost in Princeton, Texas (to the East of McKinney, TX), tried to blame the problem on the truck not working with an incorrectly built diesel IP. They wanted to pull the IP, have me pick it up, bring it back to the IP lab who I purchased it from, bring it back to them, and then they would try to install it again and get it running. There is a lot more to this story, but basically, after bringing it to the new mechanic, they looked at the truck, new what it was, had worked on them while in the military, and new all about it. They looked at the IP and saw it was not installed correctly. They gave the symptoms, without asking me, and said it would retard the speed, if it was installed "sideways".??.. They seem to think it would be an easy fix. They know the company who rebuilt the IP pump and trust their work.

Basically...bad mechanic worked on it, when they should have said from the beginning that they didn't know how to work on these.

All of this set me back $600, plus a tow charge, and the new charge at the new mechanic. I paid for it with a credit card, so I'll be disputing the charge. Looks like I'll consider small claims court now.

Hopefully I'll get it back early next week and all will be better.

2002ford

They are very easy to do. Do some research on here. It only requires normal hand tools. Its not your truck until you build it. Lol

I_Publius

Yeah...there's a little thing called work that got in the way this time, so I thought I'd save some time by cheating. Lesson learned. I know I could have done it in two weeks..without a doubt...even if nothing more than a few hours each night and on the weekend.....ugggg..

Yes, lesson learned!

I_Publius

Just got off the phone with mechanic #2.

Mechanic #1 fried my starter and melted the cable from trying to crank too long on it. That'll be another $200. Oh, and there's a puddle of diesel from something Mechanic #1 didn't do correctly. The list keeps growing and growing and my cost keeps going up......

Just as a reminder, unless you know the mechanic, don't bring your truck anywhere for something you can do yourself. Even it it's going to take longer for you to do the job on your own, you're likely better off as you know you'll do it correctly.

I_Publius

Sounds like mechanic #2 fixed my problems. They called to tell me that they had gotten her started again, taken her out for a test drive, and gotten it up to around 70 mph or so. They said she's sounding good. I hope to pick it up tomorrow and then will have more details on what all was wrong and why the truck's speed was retarded.

I_Publius

There is a reason I use credit cards for major services purchases. I can always go back and dispute the charge, if need be. THIS is one of those times where I plan on doing so.

thanks!

I_Publius

I am finally getting around to replying and finishing up this thread.

After having my truck towed to a new mechanic, they kept it a day, fixed it, and returned it in great running condition. While there, they cleaned and painted the air filter housing and manifolds. That was above and beyond what I was expecting. It turns out that the new mechanic worked on these CUCV's during his stint in the military! Gotta to love it. They will be my new best friends for those times I need additional help. :)

Attached are a couple of pics of the engine and the IP. (My apologies in advance for not being able to figure out how to rotate these pics using the tool provided.)

Attachments