• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Troubleshooting: M1009 - Replaced IP, Now running slow

cucvrus

Not sure I never lined them up and tested them. I should sometime. I always pass out the M1028 that a friend has. He gets me off the line but can't keep up to me after 65-70. Go figure. I should wear a flak vest when I pass him at 75.

I_Publius

:)

I'm just trying to get a feeling as to whether this is typical for the M1009 and if it is, then I really need to look at making upgrades, so I can drive it how I need to drive it, which is not hot rodding, but just trying to get out on busy roads and up to highway speeds in a safe amount of time. It definitely doesn't feel safe at the moment.

cucvrus

Is it pulling out in first gear and upshifting through 2nd and 3rd ? I had some that acted like they had a centrifugal clutch and just went right to drive and they were dogs.

I_Publius

yep..it's starting off in 1st. Once it gets up to 2nd and then 3rd, it's driving fine. Shifts fine through the gears. It's just getting to 20-30 mph that is taking so long, not to mention 60 mph.

richingalveston

your problem could be fuel delivery or a tranny problem. You just did IP work so most would trouble shoot this first, but a tranny and torque converter can screw up at any time.

You need to determine by driving it if it is tranny slippage or just a motor revving slow.
When the truck takes off does the rpm jump way up and the truck just takes off slow or does the rpm slowly increase with the speedometer when going through first gear.

If the rpms go up real slow then it is probably fuel issues. IF they jump up over 2000 rpm and the truck accelerates real slow then you have a tranny problem.
It sounds to me like it is taking twice as long as a 1009 should to get to 60.

Iceman3005

How could it be installed "sideways", pump only goes on one way. These engines where retarded 5 degrees from factory for longevity, I advanced mine 5 degrees for a little power.

I_Publius

I agree..that is what confused me, as well. I'm assuming that I just misunderstood them. They had to have been referring to something else they were looking at...oh well...now I just have to get past the 0-60 in 35 seconds issue. Always something....

I was really hoping this could be a good daily driver, but so far..that ain't the case. ;)

Iceman3005

Mine has been a daily driver for over 5 years, installed the 700r4 so I could go faster, lower the rpm's, and have better fuel economy. Other than that it is stock. Been a great truck, wouldn't have any other!

cucvrus

He is talking a M1008 with 4:56 gears you have theM1009 with 3:08 gears. You are in a different situation. You do have fuel delivery issues I am sure of that.

Iceman3005

He is talking a M1008 with 4:56 gears you have theM1009 with 3:08 gears. You are in a different situation. You do have fuel delivery issues I am sure of that.
I should have clarified, the point I was trying to make is these vehicles m1008 or m1009 make a great daily driver.