• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck, Identify yourself!

Low-Tech-Redneck

We just got a spray gun and enough CARC-imitation paint to redo our deuce, and since we'll be stenciling it up after that, I'm going back into research to try and find out more about our truck's history or at least creating a convincing fabrication that's "close enough"

I found some old pics on my hard drive of the truck when we took delivery, but all it's bumper markings were painted over by ones that the salvage yard used to keep track of inventory.

The only original markings that would have been unique to the truck were on the rear bumperettes, and they had been banged up by the droping tailgate so many times, they are illegible. Now, I did take a picture of some other trucks that were part of the same lot ours came from, and this one has some
readable markings

If anyone out there can help me get started on what these break down into, and where I can start searching, please, let me know! Pretty please? :)

Also, some paperwork found in the glove box indicate that the truck was at fort A.P. Hill, Virginia in 1998, as part of training maneuvers, I already wrote the Public Affairs Officer there and he said that so many of those carbon copy safety orientation memos were printed and distributed that it's not unique enough to accurately pick one unit's trucks and say "These are it"

Again, any help would be appreciated. Prefferably, this unit would be a training unit or one that was not deployed overseas, as most of our restoration work has not and will not reflect a truck that was involved in combat, (no weapons, camo, etc.)

cten

Can you type the numbers in to this string for me.

They are a little hard to read.

Thanks

I can tell you it is truck# 016

Low Tech,

Re. the bumper numbers in your photo:

The numbers to the observers left, the upper numbers are the controlling headquarters, in this case the 89th Regional Rediness Command (RRC), formerly the 89th Regional Reserve Command (RSC) headquartered in Witchita KS. This is one of the several Army Reserve regional commands accross the country. The lower numbers on the left are the unit of assignment (the unit that owns the vehicle). In this case it is the 140th Medical. This could be any of a number of medical units, a hospital, a vet detachment, a medical logistics (supply) unit, etc. There will be only one medical unit in the 89th RRC with the number 140.

The bumper numbers to the observers right are the assignment of the vehicle within the owning unit. This could be the vehicle's sequence in the order of march, as in a convoy, or more commonly the section to which the vehicle is assigned, for example HQ 6 could be the unit commander's vehicle. Trailers are generally numbered the same as their prime mover with the addition of a T, for example the trailer behind HQ6 would be HQ6T or HQ6-T.

Individual units usually have a bit of latitude in the IDs they use on the right.

JLD

Low-Tech-Redneck

Thanks for the info! I'll have to go back and see if I can decipher the partialy-destroyed lettering on our truck, like I said, I think they all came from the same group of trucks. Scrounging though my archives, I've fround 3 partial pictures, that together I've been able to piece together as follows

LEFT BUMPER (as viewed from rear)

top - 9 (unreadable) C-F
bottom- 4 (unreadable, possibly "6" or "8")20

RIGHT BUMPER

HQ (unreadable)(unreadable)

anyone want to try and noodle that one over? I"ll keep looking for pics that may have a better angle

Low-Tech,

If your truck came from PA, MD, or parts of a near by state, (except NY, the 77th RRC commands units in NY) it probably belonged to a Reserve unit in the 99th RRC. The 99th RRC is located in Erie PA. The "F" is probably an R. The numbers below the 99CR indicate the unit of assignment and should be followed by a letter to indicate what type of unit it was. Try to carefully remove dirt or layers of paint to uncover numbers that may have been painted over. The HQ on the right means that the truck was assigned to the headquaters section, company or detachment etc. and would be followed by one or two digits to indicate its sequence in the HQ.

Poleverone,

Your truck belonged to the 980th BN (Batallion) of the 115th ASG (Area Support Group) and was truck numer 14 in the HQ (Headquaters) company. The ASG (a Group) is mostly a headquaters providing command and control. The BN will also have a HQ company to provide command and control and will have other companies to provide sevice to the units in their AO (Area of Operation). An ASG provides logistical support in a fairly wide area of deployed troops. This will include food, water, ammo, laundry. POL (petroleum, oil, and lubricants), power generation and other supplies and services (except medical) necessary to suport the warfighter. Your truck was truck number 14 in the HQ company of the 980th BN (Batallion), probably a S&S (Supply & Services) BN.

Hope this helps.

JLD

Desert Rat

Army S-4,

How about the information on my truck's front bumper? I know the 753 QM means QuarterMaster, but the rest is allusive. Here's a pic. from last week. Plus I have an M105A2 trailer I'd love to learn about as well.
For those playing at home:

88 C-R 753 Q-M 1150 TC LY07 FS 210 (The FS 210 is under the baseplate).

Understand my minor is investigatve journalism. Since you are able to explain all the other folk's information they requested has gained not only my attention, but respect as well!

P.S. - Before anyone says anything, yes I know about my driver's side mirrors! I'm having to modify the brackets because Saturn's mirrors have larger bolt studs on the new mirrors than what I had for originals.

Opie

Fellas,

The TMs on painting and marking explain the meanings. For the Sixties to '75 TB 746-93-1 is the answer.

Quote from TB 746-93-1 Page 16 and on:

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: white; FONT-FAMILY: Times-Bold"> </o:p>

Army S-4 and Opie,

You both are awesome!!! I thank you both for all the info.
I have cut and pastedboth postings to a Word Document, printed, and saved it in the folder with all the paperwork pertaining to my Duece.
I now have fuel for the fire when it comes to describing my vehicle to people coming by the shop or (even better) when I get it licensed and start using
my share of the road taxes that I have been paying all these years here in the land of tree huggers and whale petters.

Desert Rat,

88 CR is the 88th RRC, Ft. Snelling MN. The truck belonged to the 753rd QM (Quartermaster Company) SUP (Supply) (Water) (88CR 7S3 SUP (Water)). The 753rd currently has detachments in Oshkosh and Greenbay WI. The unit is a water supply unit, probably a RO (Reverse Osmosis) unit. The FS 210 indicates where in the 753rd the truck was assigned. Remember, there is a fair amount of lattitude in the assignment numbers used within the unit. The other, smaller stencils are a mystery to me, they do not fit the usual conventions and they are smaller than bumper numbers should be.

Red Devils,

I'm going to do my best guessing at your markings. Your truck probably belonged to the !st of the 69th of the 42nd Infantry Division. Your truck was number 37 in a headquarters unit. The 42nd is a National Guard infantry division with most of its units in the NYC-NJ area. Your truck was probably surplused at Ft. Drum, NY. HIstorically Ft. (Camp) Drum was (is?) the primary summer training area for the 42nd Division.

Opoie is correct with the information provided. Unfortunately there wa/is a lot of local intrerpertation of the instructions. Reserve units, away from major installations, often modified, or misapplied the instructions.

National Guard units often have their own way of doing things, and because they are under State control most of the time they are not subjected to scrutiny by the "Big Army" as much as AC and Resrve units are.

FYI, today the Army Reserve has only Combat Service Support and Combat Support units, there are no combat units in teh Reserve. Most reserve medical strength is in the Army Reserve. The National Guard consists primarily of Combat and Combat Support Units. There are very few medical units in the NG, and those that they have are all far forward units.

Glad that I can help.

JLD

Low-Tech-Redneck

Thanks for all your help guys, looking back at pictures of our truck again, and using info from Army S-4,

here's our trucks correct number

99C-R402QM-HQ4X (the last number of the truck's convoy number is still unredable, but really not super-important)

99th regional readiness command, 402nd quartermasters battalion, assigned to headquarters, truck 4-somthing

402nd is a bulk petrolium, pipeline and transport company based in New Castle PA, which explains how the truck ended up in Brackney, and, why it would have been at fort A.P. Hill for training, that's within' the 99th's command district.

Desert Rat

Army S-4,
I really appreciate your help with the history of the markings on my truck. Your information adds up 100% with what I found out from other people not familiar with the markings but knew where the truck came from at the time it was auctioned. They said she came from Oshkosh as some kind of delivery truck dealing with support. Again, thanks bunches!

After Army's great description of the truck numbers I did a Google search of the 980th battalion.

Put this in the search criteria: Army 980th Battalion Insignia

Select the top selection -980th Quartermaster Battalion Insignia Page

(I tried to put the link in here but it goes to some foriegn page every time. Tried 4 different ways so I gave up - that's why this is re-edited.

Notice the two insignias at the top of the page?

Well wouldn't that be real slick to have them on the windshield?! I thought so and then............:idea:

As luck would have it I own a sign shop and I can digitally print these to vinyl and then easily slap them on the windshield. So if any of you would like this done for your unit, battalion, whatever - let me know.

It costs $12.00 a sq foot to make them, so how ever many you can fit in a sq. foot - will cost $12.00. These would be individually cut out on a sheet of backing paper. Peel and stick. Whammo!!! Or, you could do a huge one.
If you get one 2ft by 2ft thats 4sq feet and would cost $48.00. That's full color and laminated for durability.

One note - try and print it on your home printer first. if it is not clear as a small logo it would look really bad enlarged.

But rather than explain all the particulars here, if you are interested, I'll explain how it works in more detail later.

Dieselsmoke

I did the Placer County SWAT logo on my deuce using the piant mask on the front bumper.....of course I did it when I had the lifting shackles off the truck-stooopid. So now gotta repaint it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks