• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck Markings?

N1265

I have not had or even heard of anybody having any trouble with restoring their truck with original military markings / numbers. Ohio law even makes a provision where a person can use up to a six digit number stenceled on the truck instead of displaying a historical plate.

If you run plates on your truck, I would think that the law enforcement community would realize that the license plate trumps any markings displayed on the truck.... At least this has been my experience so far. I have not had any trouble running original markings on my truck in Ohio, Michigan and Indiana.... checking the laws of your state would be good advice.

That being said, I have never seen a restoration with the words, and do not know how the law would deal with a vehicle marked : " for official use only " I am not sure if using these words in your markings would be over the line or not. The whole purpose of restoring MVs is to make them historically accurate, this would include the markings ( IMO ).

mcmullag

markings

I run around Colorado Springs with my deuce which has bulldogmack13's unit markings on it, since he was the previous owner. No one has said a thing and my driving has me spend much time on a big boulevard where I see army and air force people in uniform, in their civy cars around me, going to and from their homes and Peterson and Schriever AFB's and Ft Carson. Local police and state highway patrol seem to look the other way when I drive by, like they don't even want to mess with that.

Jones

RE: markings

As long as you don't try to pass yourself off as an active duty military vehicle there shouldn't be any problem.
If you need to get on or off base to view or take possession of GL items you've purchased, just make sure you present insurance and proof of current CIVILIAN motor vehicle registration and you're good to go.
At car shows you often see restored fire and police vehicles; no one mistakes a 1964 Dodge for an active duty patrol car or expects to see a 1917 Ford Model T racing off to a fire.

Mike_L

A friend of mine has a Blazer with ILNG markings still on it and was denied entry to one of the bases (don't recall which one) here in Indiana. Despite having the registration and insurance, they wouldn't let the truck on with the markings on it. Well, that is the story he told me.

steelandcanvas

As I restore my Deuce, I plan to use the markings of the Deuce I was assigned to in Germany. The hood registration numbers will be correct for the truck (plan to paint OD, for Vietnam Era correctness), and the bumper markings will be from my unit: 8th Division, 3rd Bn, 16th FA, SV 14. My M105 trailer will be SV 14T.

saddamsnightmare

September 28th, 2008.

BullDogMack13's just like Popeye the Sailor, he leaves a little Sweetpea here and there for all us deuce collectors! It seems that theres an IIICAV 3/3 L-50 in Colorado, Texas and now North Carolina (plus one Bradley in Iraq)..... I just hope we all three don't get togather at the same place at the same time, or the LE's are going to go nuts! Jay, you devil, confuse the man by multiplying your force with smoke and mirrors....very Sun Tzu of you! Jay, you told me what the inverted ^ was for in OIF, but what is the ball that goes with or under it? I am trying to get up a fibreglass board copy of the "Danger-Stay Back 100 Metres!" signs from your HMMWV's in Iraq, but I can't be certain I have the Iraqi or Farsi right in the sign, as there seems to be some variations out there. Armyman30years+ had a good shot of it in one of his recent letters, but I haven't gotten around to querying him about it yet, figuring he's a busy man.... I do want to make sure it's right, so the Al-Quaeda types around here don't make the Texan's mess up the streets, as they all conceiled carry (the Texans-not the Al-Quaeda).....
I think I'll add "UN" markings to the Swiss Unimog.... THAT oughta keep the locals sleepless at nights (both here and in Switzerland)! Next it'll be black helicopters and no telling who'll get elected President in November.... !

Behave yourselves and don't get anywhere near here with all those other spurious IIICAV 3/3 L-50's Jay's been cranking out when he's not making NC safer for MV collectors, or was that the other way round?

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan (owner of the genuine 1st III 3/3 CAV L-50 Deuce...... :beer:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Kyle, ha ha ha your a funny guy

Theres only 2. Mine and yours. Glen's /Mcmullag's duece has L-55 on his. Its the H.Q. truck.

There is a 3 and a dot behind it that goes on the door to be a current truck. 3 is for 3rd squadron and the dot is the map sign for artillery. So you need a 3 dot to be current on both doors. Ill look for a pic. - Jay / Man of many Lightnings

N1265

" I think I'll add "UN" markings to the Swiss Unimog.... THAT oughta keep the locals sleepless at nights "

That will keep ME sleepless at night.

LanceRobson

I use bumper numbers from units I used to belong to that were deactivated.

As a sad note on how far we drew down the strength of the military, I spent 25 years in infantry units and except for one Rifle Company, every Division, Separate Brigade, Battalion and Company I ever served in has been deactivated!

Lance

EDIT: That means I've got to get a bunch more trucks before I run out of unit numbers!

saddamsnightmare

October 15th, 2008.

Dear General Jones:

That Does it perfectly..... now I can confuse all the Texans at the next parade and tell them it's a southern dialect...... In any case it oughta look good with the current door markings on the M35A2 for the 3ACR.... (magnetic, of course...
now if I could only get her in the next Indiana Jones movie and not get her busted up, oh, wait.... Indy's gonna have to be about 105 to make it to Desert Storm???? Think he can last that long?
[thumbzup]

Kyle F. McGrogan
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran truck
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog MB
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gen Set APU

Pawnshop

I am going to refresh the original unit markings on my Deuce, which belong to a currently active unit 90 miles from my house, but I am going to add "POV" on the front and rear. That will indicate to the MPs she hasn't been liberated, although the regular army is using LMTVs anyway. As for the civilian LEOs, I have current registration in the map compartment and the door number is the registered plate number for my truck so my name and info will come up when the door number is run.

Attachments

KAILUAZ

I spoke to a Florida DOT officer the other day and posed this question to him. He said he couldn't think of any Florida or federal law that would prohibit you from using bumper numbers etc. The only issues would be making sure your tags (license plates) were correct.
He mentioned maybe having issues if you were driving around on base somewhere with the MP's, but being a former MP myself I don't see that being an issue either. The bumper numbers are normally controlled by the unit and I cant think of any actual regulations covering them.
I hope that helps, from Florida anyway. :D