• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

True or False

1958 M274

I own the M813A1 with the 250 nhc cummins and i have been told that if i switch the engine off in the wrong sequence it will burn the alternater out or do some serious damage to the electrics ? The sequence i use just now is in clockwise order on the ignition panel.
Top switch first then bottom switch and to shut off the engine it is in reverse order I have gone through other posts but couldnt find anything relating to this .
Petesos
The answer is true! You are supposed to shut the ignition switch off first, then the battery switch off.

See attached picture of the inside of the door on our M816 wrecker. You can see that behind the window crank it says "CAUTION POSITION BATTERY SWITCH TO OFF ONLY AFTER ENGINE HAS STOPPED". FWIW, this is a truck with original factory paint inside the cab. It has not been repainted.

The reason for the specific shutdown sequence is to protect the relay in the protective control box, and to protect the regulator in the alternator. There is a relay in the protective control box that breaks the circuit from the alternator to the batteries. When the battery switch is off, the relay is open. When the battery switch is turned on, the relay closes, and once the engine starts and the alternator is charging, it can reach the batteries.

When the battery switch is turned off before the ignition switch, or even very quickly after the ignition switch is shut off but the engine is still turning, the alternator is still charging. If there is current flowing to the batteries when the relay in the protective control box opens, there is more arcing, more carbon buildup, and the relay will fail earlier. Also, if the alternator is still charging when the circuit opens and the alternator is disconnected from the batteries, the regulator will go to full charge on an open circuit and will eventually kill the alternator. This is much the same reason why it is not a good idea to jump start and run a vehicle equipped with an alternator without any batteries, or to disconnect the battery on a vehicle equipped with an alternator while it is running.

The M939 series five tons have a protective control box as well, and the reasoning for the shutdown sequence is the same on both vehicles.

If you forget and shut off the battery switch first a few times it won't kill it. Personally, I always shut off the ignition switch first, let the engine stop turning, then turn off the battery switch.
Joe

Attachments

Truckoholic

Here is an interesting observation for you all............

When I bought my M813 the other day, someone had stolen the Protection Control Box which for those who don't know, is a box in the engine compartment mounted to the firewall that has relays in it that are switched by the ignition and battery switches on the dash. Looks like this:
yhst-59523690850641_2163_14883751.jpg

Anyway, I bought a new one and put it in and I noticed something regarding this whole which switch should go off first thing. This relay box, has a delay in it that continues to supply power to the alternator for a few seconds after you turn the battery switch to off. So the result is, no matter which switch I turn off first, the alternator still has power going to it until the engine stops turning. And THAT is what the problem normally is with turning the battery switch off before the ignition switch. You do not want to cut power to the alternator when it is still turning or it can be damaged. So with this new protection control box I have, it takes care of that problem no matter which switch gets turned off first. Guess that's why it's called a "Protection" control box. Since it is designed not only to relay power to the starter and things, but it also protects the alternator.

Just thought that was pretty cool, and I'm glad this thread was brought up again now that I discovered that.

Petesos

Interesting.........The reason i asked was parts for most US trucks here cost an arm and a leg so its best to be on the safe side as i can imagine pulling up to trafic lights on a busy road with the truck and gun on the back and bang all electrics gone ...................60 foot of road block
petesos

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks