• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Try to jump and goes dead... Help Please

wehring

OK folks. I have one I have not seen before.

I have a deuce that is w/o batteries and I tried to slave it. After I plug in the slave and flip the primary switch everything seems to be working OK. Gauges come up and buzzer sounds. When I hit the start button it starts to crank for a split second then it goes dead (breaker). If you let it sit it will repeat.

The battey cable ends are wrapped with tape and not touching anything.

Ideas?

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Westech

CPL
There is no breaker. I bet the battery cables are shorting/arching. Make sure all the connections on BOTH trucks are cleaned and tight. Take them ALL apart and wire brush and clean everything. Reinstall and I bet its going to work.....

***Note**** the jumped truck will start but the alternator is going to go CRAZY with out a battery. You really need batteries in there or you risk burning up the alternator quick fast and in a hurry.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Chances are one of your cables has a bad lug on the end. I fought the same thing last weekend on my 818 low air alarm would come on and when I hit starter button , nothing. Turns out cable looked good but only had 2 little hairs of wire still soldered up in the lug. Also a warning, I think that running without a battery even dead will lead to an early death of your alt/gen as it will not have a load.

Westech is faster on the keyboard!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as the slave cable stays connected, the alternator will be ok.

As for the cranking issue, sounds like a bad connection or cable.

wehring

clarify

To clarify... something trips off line when i push that start button. it will begin to crank then the whole truck goes dead (gage neelded drop, buzzer quits, etc).

Somehting is tripping off line. If you unplug the slave and let it sit it will repeat this sequence.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

papercu

Loose connecter is acting like a breaker because on the heat. When you hit the switch the heat will separate whatever is loose then when it cools it goes back together. If you do it enough times you will burn it in two. Wayne

rizzo

using a slave connector FYI: I had a deuce that had both of the wires from the slave connector hooked to ground. It is a good idea to check where they are connected before using the slave connector.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am voting the ground lug where it attaches to the frame. Take a Roloc disk and clean the frame
install new IET washers. I have run into the exact scenario several times on the Deuce.
popacom / BILL in Ky.:beer:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this is one a A2? correct.. on a A3 you will need to have the batteries in the truck. will not run without batteries.. very touchy too. :beer:. looks like a ground . might be one the starter too. check them all:confused:

Jake0147

Without a battery installed, the first question that comes to my mind is where/how is the positive slave cable end attached to the positive battery/starter cable end? That's a lot of juice, and just kinda hanging off of the same bolt won't cut it... Gotta be tightened down. Absolutely it sounds like a poor connection issue though, able to support some small load, but not able to support t starter motor it's self.

wehring

Thanks

Thanks All.

I was going to run out and try some of these ideas but Popacom's YELLOW font burned the life out of my eyes and I am now left blind and hopeless. :beer: Cheers Bill! Love the yellow!

With Joe C's help we installed 2 batteries and cleaned all of the interfaces. We even took a wrench and turned on the starter nuts to help make contact. No change.

We did not clean the frame ground. Will try that this week.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks