• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to wire up tow lights need some help.

I went and bought two yellow lights and two red lights 24v. I have the left yellow light hooked up to the B wire it works with the LH turn signal,I have the right yellow light hooked up to the J wire it works with the RH turn signal. I have both red lights wired up to the E wire for the tail lights, I want these to work with the brake lights. I have looked at the 2-113 pin out for the trailer. How do I make the red lights work with the brake lights thanks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want your red lights to have two functions(tail lights & brake lights) you need dual element bulbs.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you only want brake and signal lights?

No taillights?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your brake and turn signal lights are powered from the same wire.

Not sure why you bought yellow lights, but the way you have them now, they should be on when you press the brakes.

I would just use the red lights instead.

Well the lights can be red or yellow they have two sides,all I have to do is pop the lens off one side and switch it with the other side. Yes the way it is wired now the yellow light do come on when I hit the brakes.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could, but you said you just want brake and signal lights. Those are both one element in a taillight housing.

So, with what you have for lights, you can have red brake and signal and a yellow taillight or, you can have a yellow brake and signal light and a red taillight.

Unfortunately all of your bulbs are going to be the same brightness(which is wrong).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went and bought two yellow lights and two red lights 24v
Well the lights can be red or yellow they have two sides
A picture would help.

Why not just buy the correct style light?

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way to get the yellow lights to blink without the brake lights is to wire them to the front blinkers. The correct lights are probably cheaper than 50 foot of wire.

I went to napa they couldn't find me any dual element lights that were 24 volt. So I bought four 24 volt lights that have red on one side and yellow on the other side. I paid $7.00 a piece for the lights.

Last edited:

eagle4g63

Ok, maybe you are not quite getting what is trying to be told.......take a 2 element bulb.........ONE element is for night time running lights........the OTHER element is for the brake/turn function.......get it?

You CAN NOT separate the turn from the brake......both features use the SAME wire.....the only reason you would need to use a second set of lights is if you want to have night time running lights........

Just put the red lens on the thing and run it......when you hit the brake both left and right will light up, turn on the left blinker the left light lights.....push the brake at the same time the left blinker is on then the left light will blink and the right light will stay on solid.......opposite is true if you turn on the right blinker.......just like every regular car and truck out there........only Ford and a couple of other makers actually use separate wires for the turn signals and the brakes.....way more wire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks