• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbo cooling hose

Lex_Ordo

I have replaced the cooling return hose that runs from my turbo back into the oil pan.
It is the same hose that connects the blowby vent on top of the head that sends the gasses down to the street.

They were old braided type hose that were painted when the block was re-built in 1986. I wanted to put a similar New braided hose on now.
I believe they are 1"diameter x 4" long.

Any thoughts?
Is it a standard truck hose, or a surplus item I'm looking for?
When I origianlly replaced them, I bought he hoses from Memphis, and they sent me some 1" heater hose, but I don't trust it.
It has worked up till now, but it is time to put the right part on the truck.

Attachments

Lex_Ordo

Sorry about the pic, but it didn't come out as I wanted it to. Anyway the arrow points to the top hose, which is the same hose used for the turbo. They both need to replaced with the correct Braided type.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Teflon hose is the highest temp but the teflon is inside braded stainless steel and it does not clamp on. It's very expensive(my Cummings turbo donor had this). Silicon hose is probably the best choice. It is expensive. Napa sells it by the foot. Prob 25$/ft. You might find a synthetic rubber hose(Viton) that will tolerate 350*F. Polyacrylic would be a high temp material but lower than viton (~300*F). Having that steel standoff pipe helps keep the hot soak temps down. Heater hose might be something to try while you look around. It is a low stress application (no pressure). I have a 1.1 inch dia silicon hose(30mm?) x 3" long from E-bay, paid only a few bucks. Never used it. I'll mail it to you free if you think it will work. It really needs to be close to pipe OD so if you have 1"OD steel it will be sloppy before clamps. PM me if you think you will use it.

ps-That is a beautiful truck!

pps- conjecture; viton and silicon hoses may not have been avail in late 60's, 70's so they chose to use that heavy rubber(?)/bradded stuff.

Last edited:

jwaller

go to napa or whatever parts store you like and ask for oil hose. the line you speak of the the turbo oil return line. not a cooler line.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was brought up a week or so ago. DO NOT use the silicone heater hose from NAPA or any place else. There is oil rated hose that jwaller stated, but there are also hoses that engine mfgrs use that are like silicone, but better. They are thin orange or blue hoses designed just for the oil drain from the turbos. I put one on mine, I am trying to dig up the Cummins p/n so I can post it here. Give me a few days, i'm home so I don't have access to everything I do at work.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My local mom and pop auto parts store carries gates braded hose. A good auto parts/truck parts place should be able to get it for you. That heater hose can't handle oil that hot from the turbo for very long. There isn't much pressure there but there is alot of heat when the engine is laboring. And i agree. That is a very clean truck!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I was able to locate the one from a 1988 400 hp engine that, IIRC is a bit longer than needed so it should work for both the turbo drain and the cc vent.
These are Cummins numbers;
3065061....OR, the one I used on my junk, not sure if it will be long enough to use for the CC vent,
Be aware, they are not cheap, but, what would it cost to replace your engine?

Barneyszoo

Replaced the same hose right after I bought my truck, the hose shop I've been dealling with for years gave me the same hose that is used on gas station pumps. Its high temp and has a staineless wire in it but it can be clamped with regular hose clamps. Its been on for six months with no leaks.

Lex_Ordo

Nice!
I think I'm going to go get some High Temperature Aeroquip hose.
All I need is 12", cut in half to fit those two spots. Then I won't need to be worried about them. Really though the only concern is the turbo return line.

Thanks for the input.

DoctorCheney223

I apologize for bringing this post back to life but is where the hose that is being described attached to? I was getting quite a bit of leakage from this outlet tonight.

I have let this truck idle in the driveway for 10-15 minutes with ZERO oil leaking and tonight I actually moved the truck up and down the driveway and it started leaking like crazy??

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are talking about the open pipe, that is supposed to be open, it's the crnkcase vent. The braided hose to the right of it is the turbo drain line.