• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Defecating Oil

JDToumanian

Like Lee said, oil consumption doesn't necessarily mean the truck isn't able to be reliable driven... Just keep an eye on it.

I'd warm up the engine, and have someone rev it up a bit with the oil fill cap off while you watch. Here's an example of unacceptable blow-by: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM3hlUU5zPI[/media]

If the blow-by isn't that bad, try changing the oil using a heavy-duty straight 30w meant for diesels, like Chevron DELO 30 or Shell Rotella T 30. That's all it took for my truck to stop using oil...

Jon

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The story of mine was that it probably sat idling on the flight line for thousands of hours to keep warm. I did and in frame, ground the valves, etc.... But mostly honed hell out of the cylinders and put a new set of rings in it. That made it a new engine. But I don't think that you are at that point yet. On your way to the farm, be sure its running up to temperature too. Depending... you might have to cover some of the radiator.

Lee in Alaska

DeuceIsLoose

Ok Gents--here's the update.

First, a few observations about riding around on a Deuce front fender:

• It intakes so much air that it can easily suck your t-shirt in if you don't have the mushroom on.
  • Make sure your friend driving knows the flight path and doesn't make any erratic turns that might throw you off--it hurts when you hit the ground--I don't think I broke anything, but my ankle and leg have issues--I'm going to try some ice
  • Hold on tight
I put some Lucas oil stop leak in and I think that might have improved things. Oil is coming out of the blow by tube, but it doesn't look that bad when we were moving as it did before. But there is still a more than average amount coming out. It doesn't look nearly as bad as that video of the Neon. So that makes me feel a little better. Also it looks like it gets worse as the engine warms up. Maybe that's because I've got 15W-40 in it. I think I'll try some replacing it with 30W as it dumps the 15W-40 out.

Any thoughts? I think she'll make it the 400 miles to the farm--but there's only one way to find out.

Donnie

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you survived that Donnie. I think Will Wagner warned against that too. With SAE 30 it ill probably slow it a bit. Next time try attaching a coffee can to the tube and test drive it. The can should act as a crude collector and give you and idea of exactly how much oil you are dumping.
This is just another cause for the term "Road Oiler"

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you're OK. Here's another thing that can cause oil out the tube. Excessive valve clearance. The causes alot of splash. If the valves on the 3 and 4 cylinders are loose, that could contribute to it. Also, if someone has had the valve covers off and reinstalled the block that the road draft tube attaches to the V/C's wit silicone and the holes are restricted, that can cause oil to be pushed out the tube too. Also, too much oil in the engine can do it too. just 'cause the stick says there is the correct amount of oil in it doesn't mean that there is.

Jon, I have looked for the spec on the CC pressure measurement and have had no luck. Do you know where it can be found?

Banshee365

I'm sure this has already been thought of. But, check the oil supply lines to the turbo. Especially the return hose from the turbo to the pan, those can degrade over time and become an issue. I'd love to hear an engine run that is blowing by oil in fluid form at that rate. That would be CRAZY! That oil on your axle looks like it was poured straight from a bottle. If the turbo oil exhaust hose is messed up it could drump oil like that all over the place. When you're driving with all of that air swirling around oil can end up far away from the source. I'd probably run the truck at a stand still with both panels and the hood open. Have someone rev the engine as if you were driving it and let it run at a higher rpm for a while.

I like to check the easy cheap stuff before I start worrying about turbos and engines. It can't hurt.

Like everyone mentioned, be vary careful if your turbo seals are bad. Have a game plan on how to shut it down before you run it. You could either fassion something up to plug the air intake with but you'll probably have to jump in the truck QUICKLY, kill the fuel, put it in a high gear and just bogg it out. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

-Kelly

ARYankee

I'm curious to see what happened....... Now I have a slobber problem with my second deuce. I'll probably start simple with changing the oil and making sure its not over filled. Does any one have any other suggestions on the blow by tube slobber problem?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought i read on the last page that you pushed it to 60MPH? Are you infact driving it that hard? Slow down to 45 MPH or 50MPH and i bet you will see a hugh difference in blowby. It's hard for any engine to run wide open for very long with out complaining one way or another.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks