• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Rebuild 3LJ-319 (Whistler)

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NON whistler "D" turbo does not share the same internals. Everything is larger. Good job on the tear down. The most critical detal is the BALENCE!!!! This can not be overstated! Glad to see you marked the shaft with the compressor wheel. Be shure not to remove any metal what so ever. This will throw the balence out. Be sure not to leave ANY dirt, grease behind this will throw off the balence. Most of the cost of turbo rebuilding is with the balence. Sometimes it can take hours to get it back into spec. Can't wait to see your build up.

plym49

Aha moment: these turbos run on brass bushings. I thought all turbos used ball bearings. Adds understanding to the '5 minute' rules. Live and learn.

wsucougarx

Yes brass. I found the old bearing is still good to go. However the oil seal on the exhaust side was definately worn out. The rebuild kit does give you an extra set of oil seals. So with a good journal bearing and oil seals I just need to track down an O-ring and I've got myself another kit...haha

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i know this thread is about c turbos, but what are some of the differences between the C and D turbos as far as seals and bearings? do the d's also use a bushing type bearing?... because i heard d's last longer than c's. thanks for your insight!

wsucougarx

i know this thread is about c turbos, but what are some of the differences between the C and D turbos as far as seals and bearings? do the d's also use a bushing type bearing?... because i heard d's last longer than c's. thanks for your insight!
I'm unsure about the exact differences. This rebuild kit will not work with the 3LM type turbos, which is the "D" type. Hmm, I may need to do a thread on that in the future ;-)

Hey, have you put it on a truck to test it out yet?
That is the next step. I just completed the rebuild last night. Will post a video when I get around to it;-)

wsucougarx

Outstanding Steve, do let us know how the rebuild goes. I attempted to remove my non-whistler off my '68 M35A2 to no avail. I heated the nut and nothing. I'll have to try after a few soakings with PB Blaster next. I really want to avoid a "How To" thread on how to remove broken studs from your exhaust manifold[thumbzup]

davey8943

wsucougarx,

This thread will be absolutely priceless when I get to rebuilding my turbo.

Thanks for taking the extra time to slow down and take pics for our benefit.

Next time your in my neck of the woods, I'm on the hook for a frosty beverage of your choice!

Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks