• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn the deuce front parking lights into markers

It bothered me that those big amber markers on the front of the deuce are used as parking lights and not with the service lights as markers. I really wanted front markers after dark, in the rain, snow or whatever.

Time to look at the schematics.

Turn signals and parking lights are marked as different bulbs. Good.

If I hooked wire 16 to wire 491 the lights would run as markers, but I didn't want to mess up the parking light function. That calls for either a relay or a diode. The diode is easier.

I went to Radio Shack and found some 50 volt 5 amp diodes ( I think they were 1N2005s but I could be wrong. ) The point is it is a nice beefy part good for a lot of wattage.

I had been thinking of attaching it with wire and heat shrink tubing but I found a better way. The diode leads are thick enough to be held firmly by a female spade connector just like those found in an inline fuse holder.

Good. If I screwed up on the polarity, I had a quick fix. If it turned out that having a diode running the markers, there was a quick fix. Open fuse holder and remove or reverse the diode.

I picked up a fuse holder at the local auto store. I bent the diode leads and plugged it in to the holder. Good tight fit. I didn't even need to pinch the fuse holder's spade lugs. If you cut the diode leads just right the top of the fuse holder itself will help hold the diode in place.

I spliced the fuse holder into the wiring harness right behind the light switch. I didn't even shorten the leads. Easy access!

It works like a charm. Just remember the white band of the diode goes to wire 491. The hardest thing was doing the splice. Old dirty wires.

Whole procedure took under a half an hour.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Thanks Jeff.
I checked out the thread. All good ideas except for just hooking the wires together. Looking at the schematic, you need the diode to prevent the headlights from coming on as part of the parking light circuit. I won't post mods until I test them.

Besides, as I said, this is one modification that can be undone very easily. Just pull the diode and close up the fuse holder.

Thanks Recovery4x4,
They really got into it. Far more into things that I went. As long as things work I say. I like mine though, quick, clean, cheap and the diode prevents the parking lights from turning on the headlights.

Last edited:

bones1

Having trouble finding that diode, what else did you all use?. These should work correct? 50 VOLT 10 AMP SCHOTTKY DIODES

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need a diode. You can simply connect 21 and 491 at the headlight switch.

Dug is right, if you don't care about loosing the origional parking light function the diode is not needed. If you use it, it is a plain ordinary diode. Voltage rating over 24V but no reason to go above 50V. Current rating more than 2 amps but no reason to go much higher than five. Schottky diodes? No. Just plain old silicon rectifiers like for a power supply. Radio Shack has them, I bought mine from them. Any ham radio store should have them and they do electronics speak. I just chose the 50V 5A diode. Hamfests are another source for electronic parts. Good luck!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What function did I lose? I can turn on just my park lights, they come on with my headlights and the flash when I need to tell someone I'm turning. What else is there?

Rustygears

If available, I'd opt for the schottky diodes which in industry has replaced 'old silicon rectifiers' in power supplies. The drop in a schottky is half or less than that of a Si diode. That makes for a lot less heat buildup and more reliability/ longer life.

In the end it comes down to whatever works and whatever you are happy with. Me I didn't want loose the parking light function. ( No reason, just me being me. ) The 0.7 volt drop across the silicon diode was fine with me. To all of you enjoy your new marker lights! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks