• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turned away from camp grounds??

ramdough

A friend of mine with a white LMTV based RV said that he has had trouble in the past with campgrounds turning him away in fear that he may be a prepper. His truck is white and in California.

I was hoping to stay tan, but he advises against a Millitary look.

Anyone ever have issue with campgrounds sending you away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been turned away from rv parks because my rv is older than 12 years old.

i don’t agree with the practice but my money and my very public reviews go so much farther than 10 times their advertising money

382D5227-51E3-42EB-8BB2-223547A5A66A.jpeg

ramdough

I have been turned away from rv parks because my rv is older than 12 years old.

i don’t agree with the practice but my money and my very public reviews go so much farther than 10 times their advertising money

View attachment 789197
I have heard of that before. My view is that if it is street legal, you should be fine. But I guess some places are snobby.

My friend also said that even national parka, state parks, and on base RV parks have given him trouble.

I am in Texas, so I imagine I would have less trouble than California,..... but I may want to visit other places at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reworked LMTV

49% of residents surveyed are leaving California in the next 5 years. They have created their own toxic cesspool and now they want to leave.
Look at San Francisco. It used to be a nice area. Now it's a dump with syringes and feces everywhere. All in the name of personal freedom to live the way they want, no matter what.

Don't bring your thought cancer to TN if you move here. We won't tolerate it. Freedom comes with responsibilities.

Last edited:

coachgeo

It's not just military trucks. Many won't allow any conversion of any kind. Schoolies, vans, etc.

My guess is it is a legit-ish reason though. RV manufactures have a known standard of construction, appliance installation etc. (sucky standard... but known) With this insurance company can predict % possibility of fire, electrical mishaps, tires falling off etc... Thus insurance companies have a predictable base to create actuarial tables. They use these when determining how much they will charge a RV park for x-amount of coverage..

but self builds...... it puts it all in the air.... making it way more unpredictable. So the insurance company likely says.... "for this price we will insure you but if you allow self builds..... this voids your insurance and we won't cover anything". Orr.... the insurance company will allow self builds...... for an extra exorbitant fee... so much a larger fee the campground just says.... fawk that.... lets not allow self builds

This is my guess on what is really going on with this.

ramdough

It's not just military trucks. Many won't allow any conversion of any kind. Schoolies, vans, etc.

My guess is it is a legit-ish reason though. RV manufactures have a known standard of construction, appliance installation etc. (sucky standard... but known) With this insurance company can predict % possibility of fire, electrical mishaps, tires falling off etc... Thus insurance companies have a predictable base to create actuarial tables. They use these when determining how much they will charge a RV park for x-amount of coverage..

but self builds...... it puts it all in the air.... making it way more unpredictable. So the insurance company likely says.... "for this price we will insure you but if you allow self builds..... this voids your insurance and we won't cover anything". Orr.... the insurance company will allow self builds...... for an extra exorbitant fee... so much a larger fee the campground just says.... fawk that.... lets not allow self builds

This is my guess on what is really going on with this.
My understanding was that it had only to do with the appearance of the truck. He also met a couple with a Unimog and Blissmobil camper.... professional build, beautiful truck......they were having the same issue because it looks military.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reworked LMTV

There is an important delineation between an RV'r and an Overlander, and it is really starting to show up now. True Overlanders love converted vehicles. They won't have an issue with a previous military vehicle.

Camo color represents what? They need to think about that while they eat tofu and drink craft beers on land that others sacrificed their lives for.

Off-roading for an RV is the sidewalk at Macy's, and that's a good thing. Literally and figuratively, they won't get far ;)
Oh, by the way, who do you think they will ask to pull out their stuck RV. "Sure, I can pull you out for, errr....I'd say $1500"

I have the national standards for RV's, if anyone wants them.

ramdough

There is an important delineation between an RV'r and an Overlander, and it is really starting to show up now. True Overlanders love converted vehicles. They won't have an issue with a previous military vehicle.

Camo color represents what? They need to think about that while they eat tofu and drink craft beers on land that others sacrificed their lives for.

Off-roading for an RV is the sidewalk at Macy's, and that's a good thing. Literally and figuratively, they won't get far ;)
Oh, by the way, who do you think they will ask to pull out their stuck RV. "Sure, I can pull you out for, errr....I'd say $1500"

I have the national standards for RV's, if anyone wants them.
Can you send them to me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reworked LMTV

I had a brainstorm. Maybe a group of individuals could start a MV /overlanding park in TN. Start a trend. Just a thought...

Third From Texas

49% of residents surveyed are leaving California in the next 5 years. They have created their own toxic cesspool and now they want to leave.
Look at San Francisco. It used to be a nice area. Now it's a dump with syringes and feces everywhere. All in the name of personal freedom to live the way they want, no matter what.

Don't bring your thought cancer to TN if you move here. We won't tolerate it. Freedom comes with responsibilities.
83871491_4031073373585039_1644358053526503424_n.jpg

Reworked LMTV

TV station PBS

My point is this. People hate the military or any associated vehicles until there is an emergency. Then they love us. Whatever...

California has an education problem, among other things.....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks