• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turned away from camp grounds??

coachgeo

We've been looking at this new concept for a couple of weeks now:

Maybe something along these lines.
be our own solution if you wish to participate

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only problem with boondock areas is the squatters. Grace of God got them there with their broken down, no money for repairs vehicles or fuel to get them any farther. Plus the mess they leave when they do leave.

coachgeo

If any of you are ever in my area (Perry Florida), you are welcome here at our local KOA. Brian and Debbie are our kind of folks. Great people, super nice campground!

Perry Florida KOA
please put this in the other thread where the list of places is at.

Jakelc15

When we started camping with our M818 and M348, I expected to be turned away at some places. We camp at a lot of state parks, never had any trouble.
We did try to get a permanent spot at Round Top, near Gettysburg Pa, and was told our rig was too old/odd for them. But weekends were ok to stay. I have still avoided them.
I make reservations weeks in advance. If I ever get to a campground and they won't accommodate me, I'm going to make a scene. Probably tear up a lawn or two turning around. I'm sure it won't be one of my finer moments!

Attachments

ramdough

Hijack a little?

Seams like this thread is ok for those posts as well. I prefer to hear about good and bad experiences here instead of you asking people that posted under my thread to move to a thread you created. No offense, but I am glad he posted that here.

Please don’t police my thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter

It isn't free and I have no idea how much they charge.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Wife and I have traveled a good bit in either a Unimog U1300 or an LMTV (with Alaskan camper). We pick our campground carefully. The new RV "campgrounds" (yeah, right, "camping") with their $200k to $1million buck RV's parked shoulder to shoulder are snobs about the worth of their rigs, even though many are fine people. They still don't want their "camping" neighbor polluted with the likes of us. We noticed that years ago.

My guess is the campgrounds have had to respond too many times about "that old truck" next to someone. They find it easier to screen beforehand.

Well, we don't want to park in those big-buck-rig conditions either, between those monsters with their all-night light shows, carpets on the ground, little picket fences.. . We find the older places too, and have not found an older campground yet that even asked how old our truck is.

Many of the newer campgrounds have an area for smaller rigs though, maybe electric-only, probably no concrete slab, maybe no hookups (yeah!), but with bath and showers available.

Here are some gems we have found:

McGhee's Louisiana Swamp and Airboat tours, (search for it) has a small campground across the levee from their fish camp in the Atchafalaya Basin. Think it was $15 to stay there, no hookups. We got the best crawfish boil there, made us stay another day! A 12 ft gator convinced me to not lay back in my recliner next to the bayou. Fast air boat rides too.

Rambling Moose Campground near Virginia City MT. Not much in camp but friendly, and small rigs only. Lots to see in the area.

Many places to camp in the LBL, Land Between the Lakes, with RV (full hookups to primitive camping).

I won't itemize the many State Parks, National Forests, National Parks, etc.

coachgeo

Hijack a little?
Confused.??? This thread is titled to be a "discussion about the existence of the issue. not a thread about creating "a list" where one can go camp, or where one can volunteer to " list " their own land . two seperate things completely. one is only a list..... this one is a discussion

Does that not make it a hi jack ? If it does I'll gladly ask a moderator to axe the "list thread"...

PS....edited the list thread... include a link to yours here..... and clarified more that that thread is only about a LIST. If that is not to your satisfaction Ill have the other deleted by mod

Last edited:

ramdough

Confused.??? This thread is titled to be a "discussion about the existence of the issue. not a thread about creating "a list" where one can go camp, or where one can volunteer to " list " their own land . two seperate things completely. one is only a list..... this one is a discussion

Does that not make it a hi jack ? If it does I'll gladly ask a moderator to axe the "list thread"...

PS....edited the list thread... include a link to yours here..... and clarified more that that thread is only about a LIST. If that is not to your satisfaction Ill have the other deleted by mod
I had a pretty rough weekend, so maybe I overreacted. Either way.... I am not mad at you. We are good Coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SDJunkMan

It's not just military trucks. Many won't allow any conversion of any kind. Schoolies, vans, etc.

My guess is it is a legit-ish reason though. RV manufactures have a known standard of construction, appliance installation etc. (sucky standard... but known) With this insurance company can predict % possibility of fire, electrical mishaps, tires falling off etc... Thus insurance companies have a predictable base to create actuarial tables. They use these when determining how much they will charge a RV park for x-amount of coverage..

but self builds...... it puts it all in the air.... making it way more unpredictable. So the insurance company likely says.... "for this price we will insure you but if you allow self builds..... this voids your insurance and we won't cover anything". Orr.... the insurance company will allow self builds...... for an extra exorbitant fee... so much a larger fee the campground just says.... fawk that.... lets not allow self builds

This is my guess on what is really going on with this.
i never thought about the insurance angle, but I bet it's mostly not wanting to allow the "riff raff" in. I used to have a converted skoolie and always worried about being turned away.

Last edited:

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we started camping with our M818 and M348, I expected to be turned away at some places. We camp at a lot of state parks, never had any trouble.
We did try to get a permanent spot at Round Top, near Gettysburg Pa, and was told our rig was too old/odd for them. But weekends were ok to stay. I have still avoided them.
I make reservations weeks in advance. If I ever get to a campground and they won't accommodate me, I'm going to make a scene. Probably tear up a lawn or two turning around. I'm sure it won't be one of my finer moments!
Love it!!!!! Especially the pup!!!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gosh I live such a sheltered life, I had never heard of any of these problems 155 your RV looks beautiful to me and to use the reason "its to old" you gotta be kidding me? Sometimes I am grateful to live in ND (NOT RIGHT NOW, we are supposed to drop 50 degrees tomorrow night) In ND I would have absolutely no problem driving my HEMTT with a tent in the bed to any RV park in the state and I would bet dollares to donuts they would have no problem with it!
Karl

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gosh I live such a sheltered life, I had never heard of any of these problems 155 your RV looks beautiful to me and to use the reason "its to old" you gotta be kidding me? Sometimes I am grateful to live in ND (NOT RIGHT NOW, we are supposed to drop 50 degrees tomorrow night) In ND I would have absolutely no problem driving my HEMTT with a tent in the bed to any RV park in the state and I would bet dollares to donuts they would have no problem with it!
Karl
Our Montana car is 20 years old, the roof needs recoated , the black is starting to show, and the clear coat is peeling, on a fast horse and 20 feet you wont notice, but at 10 feet you start to see her age.
I have seen newer that look much worse, but like i said.... they have their rules and i can write a review that is detrimental

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ask for the manager/superintendent... encourage them to put in writing what exactly the problem is , and/or have a partner video the interaction . you will need hard evidence in order to sue for discrimination .. However, if the problem is due to the conversion not being inspected/certified for RV purposes like "normal" campers are required to be, then you don't have a leg to stand on

Reworked LMTV

ask for the manager/superintendent... encourage them to put in writing what exactly the problem is , and/or have a partner video the interaction . you will need hard evidence in order to sue for discrimination .. However, if the problem is due to the conversion not being inspected/certified for RV purposes like "normal" campers are required to be, then you don't have a leg to stand on
If it is a private campground, they can do what they want. As long as they don't discriminate in areas protected by the law. Public areas is a different story.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks