• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning radius?

RRworker

Emr-I get what your saying, I wasnt worried like it would be a make or break deal if it didnt turn tight enough ( I'll modify my driveway if i have to,lol) the numbers just didnt sit well and wanted to make sure i was thinkin about it right. Plus it was one of the questions I had that I couldnt find the answer I was looking for with a search, most other ones I was able to find (mostly by going post by post when I was bored and by reading the TM's).

Wreckerman983- for me "soldier b" is most likely going to be a camera or 2. not many people around here that keep my hours or that I trust enough to guide me back.

I thank everyone for the information this site really is the best around. Once I get the truck, go thru it and drive it I'll know alot more and probably have alot more questions, lol.

Howie

Akicita

I remember experimenting how to best take the Deuce out and bring her back in when I first got the old girl. I take her out nose first in first and then second, and bring her back in reverse low. That gives me the most control and time to stop if anything unexpected happens on the way back up the driveway (dogs, people, etc.)
1) With the driveway on the right, I pass the driveway and steer hard left blocking the entire road for a few sconds (which is not a problem where I live).
2) I shift onto reverse low and start turning the wheel as soon as she moves to bring her into the driveway and stay off the grass.
3) The rest is just aiming past the other cars and into her "berth" by the forsythia.
This method also offers an advantage in the winter months when we have snow on the ground. Going out nose first, I can guess where the driveway is, and reversing back in, I simply follow the tire marks in the white stuff.

Picture: Driving towards my home in the winter

Attachments

Vintage iron

I have come up with a way to decrease the turning radius of our trucks. I work as a heavy truck mechanic and came up with the idea while working on a tag axle. just put two air bags on the forward tandem axle. when you inflate the bags it will push the forward axle down and the rear axle up off the ground. This will shorten the turning radius and cause let tire scrubbing. I would not recommend driving at high speeds this way, just when you get in tight spots. Easy fix and the parts would not break the bank!:grin:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have come up with a way to decrease the turning radius of our trucks. I work as a heavy truck mechanic and came up with the idea while working on a tag axle. just put two air bags on the forward tandem axle. when you inflate the bags it will push the forward axle down and the rear axle up off the ground. This will shorten the turning radius and cause let tire scrubbing. I would not recommend driving at high speeds this way, just when you get in tight spots. Easy fix and the parts would not break the bank!:grin:
Interesting approach to this situation.

Is your descriptive a Concept, Design, or Experience?

Thanks.
John

Vintage iron

with every modification there are usually compromises to the original design. I think that I could design something that would work with minimal draw backs.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering the range-of-articulation designed into the Deuce rear suspension, can your airbags be installed without any loss of travel? Or would there be come compromises to the original design? What's the trade-off?

Thanks.
I've never seen a airbag that had the travel a deuce axles has. They are typically relatively short travel. There would be a trade-off as far as axle articulation is concerned.

It is a good idea if you can live with it's limitations.

plym49

with every modification there are usually compromises to the original design. I think that I could design something that would work with minimal draw backs.
I'd bet that you do not have to get the rearmost tires completely off the ground. Just getting the lion's share of the weight on the front tandem, the residual scrubbing from the rear tandem would be negligible.

Vintage iron

Airbags come in different sizes and weight capacities. If a deuce's suspension is like a 5 ton the travel is not more than 12 inches. I am sure you can find a off the shelf bag that can handle that distance. I work on a crane truck that has bags that travel about that much.

Jesse6325

Sounds about like the setup on some spread axle trailers. They have a switch or valve that lets you dump the bags on the rear axle so the trailer pivots on the foward axle. The rear axle still drags but tire scrubbing is minimal with the rear bags dumped.

rlwm211

What has not been mentioned is when the front tires start sliding just a bit under sharp turns even at low speed. All it takes is a little sand, or a slick road surface and you can feel the front end giving a bit in a sharp turn. I say this knowing that I carry a shelter on the back of my truck and the front end is a bit lighter than it would be empty.

Otherwise, when I need to turn my truck around, I am looking for a BIG place to do it. It is easier when you do not have to go lock to lock to get turned far enough to make your next cut.

The one great sport of deuce driving is backing the M105 trailer and making a turn into a driveway. It can be done, but it is finesse as opposed to brute strength. Turn just a little too far and oops, you have to pull ahead and start over.

Akicita

You would need large bags to lift the axle sufficiently to gain the effect you want.
Where is that air going to come from ?
The compressor on the Deuce is not large, and the air tanks are actually pretty small compared to those on the old bus I'm looking at.
If (theoretically) it takes all your tanks hold to lift the tag, then you're without air for the brakes, wipers, horn, etc.
A second compressor and a large third air reservoir may be needed to accomplish what you want without risking the safety of driver, passengers and others.

Vintage iron

RRworker I wish you luck. A deuce turns better than a five ton. My suggestion was not meant to Hijack this thread. I was just thinking outside the box. this set-up would just be for slow tight turns. I will continue this discuss on it's own thread.

RRworker

Thanx vintage iron, I was thinking something along the same line to lift one of the rear axles. the only easy way I could think of even just to test the theory was to use the rock crawler trick and mount a small winch under the bed and use that to lift one of the axles, put some spring tension on the cable so when its slack and the axle articulates it'll keep the cable from getting caught up on either the ground or in the driveline. You guys are more than welcome to continue the brainstorming here, I dont have a deuce or a working knowledge aside from the TM's or pics so not sure what I can add.

Howie

Vintage iron

Thanks RRworker. I am glad I could help. You idea sounds good too! The air bag trick would be easy enough for me to do, so I may just do it and see how it works!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks