• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two engines

GUNGIY

How about installing a secant engine that you could engage when more tork is needed.:twisted:

I thot about running them thou a limited slip dif. but I don't no if that would work.

p.s. I cant spell today:oops:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think by the time you had spent many many hours trying to engineer it and found it will not work well, you would have a destroyed truck and no good to show for your time. First, there is no room for all that would be required for two engines to function properly. With turned up fuel, there has never been a time we sat in the truck and said "Wish I had more power!!". We do not just drive casually, we work the trucks, so power is important to us, and we have all we need with the original power train.
Regards Marti

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some ideas are not well suited to be discussed on an open forum IMHO...don't expect many new engineering solutions to pop up. :)
Firstly, do a patent search.

mudguppy

my fuel is turned up and i know i need more power.

running it through a v-drive like the multi-motored sled pullers use would be more practical that piecing together axle parts.

i agree, however, that room under the hood will basically eliminate this possibility. but one in the bed...

JasonS

How about installing a secant engine that you could engage when more tork is needed.:twisted:

I thot about running them thou a limited slip dif. but I don't no if that would work.

p.s. I cant spell today:oops:

All you need to do to get more torque is to downshift. What you are really asking for is more horsepower. How about ONE good engine? ie cummins 5.9 or DT466

PackRatWrecker

My old boss told me about a trucker he ran across, years ago. This guy had an Olds V-8 mounted behind the cab of his truck. Apparently, when he was pulling in the mountains, he'd fire up the Olds, and use it for extra hill power. The story goes, that he had some kind of gearbox attached tot he bellhousing, and a multi-belt drive around the driveshaft, somehow. After much consideration on the subject, I think it would probably be a project better left to legend.

A guy I used to work with is a mechanic in the National Guard. He tells me that the best way to destroy a Deuce drivetrain, is to try an go much over the base output of the NHC250.

Just $.02 from a new guy.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A guy I used to work with is a mechanic in the National Guard. He tells me that the best way to destroy a Deuce drivetrain, is to try an go much over the base output of the NHC250.

Just $.02 from a new guy.

If I could get my deuce up to "the base output of the NHC250" I'd be happy. I honestly don't think the multifuel is up to the task though. ;-)

GUNGIY

All you need to do to get more torque is to downshift. What you are really asking for is more horsepower. How about ONE good engine? ie cummins 5.9 or DT466
I would like to stick with a multifuel engine.

ROFL...is that a serious question? You want a "secant engine"
Well I think so.

mudguppy

it's quite unfortunate that the OP continues to get such negative feedback for posing a modification question in the 'Modification and Hot-Rodding forum'.

oh, wait - this is SS...... i keep forgetting. :roll:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen a multiple engine set up, like you may see at a tractor pull.

Ignoring my ignorance :-D, how do you couple the motors to work in unison?

I suppose it would be easiest to run both motors at the same time, throttling them in sync. The alternative would be to have the "secant" motor throttle up at rapid acceleration or above 1/2 throttle.

It may pay to go to a tractor pull and learn about the problems/solutions associated with multiple motors operating a single drive train.

One thing those tractors have going for them is a blank slate in regards to chassis design. You will have some serious constraints fitting another mill.

Rick

rmgill

I think some of the big Russian Missile Transporters made by MAZ were Two Stroke Deisels with two engines in the truck. Two engines isn't a new thing. The Stuart tank, the Matilda Tank and a number of other vehicles had this sort of a setup. Usually driving a common gearbox system allowing one or both engines to operate. The Matilda had a common case connector that took the output of the engines and ran it back down a shaft between the engines to the gear box on the other side.