• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two new toys unimog 404

joeblack5

This morning the flu419 arrived at 7am. It is freezing today so back inside on the brake job for the 404's..
IMG_20200509_102018_727.jpg
Then TIG welded the parts together.
So this is the female m12x1 to male M10x1 for the sloppy fit[thumbzup]. This gets mounted on the axle side.

The wheel side is male m12x1 to female M10x1. ...better not to say anything....

IMG_20200509_110140_562.jpg
This is the full assembly. The new one is a 1/4 " longer then the old one.
Tbc.
Johan

Ferretboy

Hello johan....wish i could weld that good...goober welds are all can do....keep up the great work....keep a moggin on....

Ferretboy

To me restoration isnt a full back to orignal factory condition...its bringing an old vehicle back to life....she will run again...i think that is great....power to you...

joeblack5

Haha, actually the 58 made it first trip on its own power across my lot ( 100ft) to make place for flu419 coming in. It was neat, One tire empty with a flat spot, no brakes, fuel tank loose, batteries tied on the battery box lid with a rope because the batteries are to big to fit in the box.
I was kind of proud that she responded to be woken up.
I am no welder, not a painter either but I am pretty good with a grinder as my finger can testify... no pain no gain..

Welded the other set as well and honed/ assembled the brake cylinder. Kind of unsure what lubricant I should use for the "dry" side of piston.
Hope to find some time tomorrow to put the front end back together. Then on to the rear wheels.

Ferretboy

Well sounds like you had a very nice day...very good...im not up on things..i dont know what a flu. Looks like....is that an mb? Oh well i know your doing a great job....love your stories.....cool....

Ferretboy

Mine is a1963. I guess you saw the photos....as original as i could get....after 30 or so years im still not done....have the bench seat....bows.....spars...haven't cleaned or painted those yet....no tarp.....a work in progress.....its all good....i enjoy the work.

joeblack5

The Ferrets are beautiful. It is funny, as a kid I had a matchbox ferret and mog 404 troop carrier. also a bigger 6 wheel amphibious french vehicle.. hmmm.. have to try if i can find that back and see what it really was.. do you mean you have others beside the Ferret?

Johan

joeblack5

Nice. Would love to take a Ferret out to my local outdoor coffee shop. That seems to be nice size vehicle to still drive around in on a semi normal way.

Is your 404 a radio truck?

Yesterday was nice. Put the front caliper and two brake hoses back on.

Pulled the rear wheel and indeed another black widow spider waiting for me. Don't like killing animals. Everything has a purpose but this one met the end of the breaker bar.
I was surprised that when I disconnected the brake line that still fluid was coming out.

Today is somewhat rainy so I will give that caliper some attention.

The bus came in as well. Took some measurements. It is going to be an adventure.

joeblack5

The pivot mount is so the frame can flex without binding....the frame was designed to twist...these are some photos ...hope that may help.
Yes they help a lot.
Wow that looks like new... Did you restore that or was in that good of a shape to begin with.
So now I have a question.

In the second picture .. what is the vertical location of the pivot point relative to the top of the chassis or below the bottom of the pivot cross member?

Thank you,
Johan

Ferretboy

Pivot
point is below the cross member.....i restored the mog in 1993...dont drive it much...it hasnt ever been washed since then.

joeblack5

Photo looking over the gas tank at the front pivot.View attachment 799539
Ferretboy, if you have time and possibility could you measure with a tape measure what the distance is between center pivot and top of chassis / cross member?

The other dimension I am hunting for is the dimension between the cross member of the bed and the top of the frame
so that I can calculate the amount of frame twist Mercedes designed the pivot system for.

Thank you,

Johan

Ferretboy

Hello Johan....the distance from the center of the pivot bolt to the top of the rear frame cross member is 3/4 of an inch......the distance between the bed cross member and the frame is 4 inches....hope thats what you need.......dose the flat bed hard cab you have not have pivots ? I thought all beds and boxes may have them...i dont know how much a frame may flex....i dont think its very much but i think the reason for the pivot is allow for flex without binding...

joeblack5

Hello Johan....the distance from the center of the pivot bolt to the top of the rear frame cross member is 3/4 of an inch......the distance between the bed cross member and the frame is 4 inches....hope thats what you need.......dose the flat bed hard cab you have not have pivots ? I thought all beds and boxes may have them...i dont know how much a frame may flex....i dont think its very much but i think the reason for the pivot is allow for flex without binding...
Yes that is great, I assume you meant 3/4" to the top o the chassis or bottom of the cross member?
Now I can do some calculations.

Unfortunately the hard can with bed is constructed differently.
One side of the truck is directly connected to the bed and the other side has short flexing stubs on each of the chassis mounts. so it allows for frame flex but is not as sophisticated as the pivot setup on the radio boxes or your truck.
probably good that my truck does not have it since i would be tempted to remove it an use it for the bus project.

Thank you,
Johan

Ferretboy

Yes that is 3/4 of an inch from the center of the pivot bolt to the top of the frame cross member.......wondered if anyone out there can translate german? On the original german title it says "Sonderkoffer".....thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks