• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two Stuck Deuces

shannondeese

So I use my truck as my daily driver and in the tree business. We have a field that we park the trucks in along with all the equipment. It's been raining a lot in Ga lately so the field was pretty wet. I needed the dup trailer the other day so I drove across the field to get it. No problem. 2 wheel drive spun some but not much. My buddy in his stock deuce gave it a try and sank. No worries he drops it into low and spins away. I notice and run back hollering lock in the front in. By the time he heard me it was too late. He was sunk. Still no worries. I back up, hook up, turn on the rear ARB, engage the front and give him a pull, nope I sunk to the axles in less than 3 seconds. Now we have a problem. Two stuck deuces. My winch doesn't work right now. He doesn't have a winch. Its raining. After using logs to put the high lift jack on and trying to lift the deuces to put wood chips in the holes failed we called it a night.
The next day we took the Navy street sweeper I have and put it on dry land to snatch his deuce out. 10 minutes and it was out. Got his out of the way and hooked to mine. Mine popped right out then just to be a smart a lek I drove forward through it all again to get to the trailer.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And now the maintenance(fun) begins...

shannondeese

I pulled the axles, drained the diffs, and pulled the brakes apart today. Total damage done was 1 wheel had a little evidence of water in the bearing grease. All the drums had sand in them. So now it has clean 90wt in each axle. New bearing grease in each bearing. And all new seals at each corner. All the seals came from my spares. The 90 wt was left over from a previous project. And the grease is always on hand. Just a lot of work for the day.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good report!

Shows what happens with simple daily use.

3dAngus

You were just having way to much fun.

Next thing you know. they will outlaw fun. Glad you got them all out. You saved a whopper of a towing bill.

shannondeese

My buddy called a local tow company, explained the situation. They guy said $150 just to try. He wasn't even sure he could get them out. I'm in the wrong business.

Beyond Biodiesel

This is an object lesson of put it in all-wheel drive before entering the hazard, not after. I did about 2 years of archaeology for Boeing along the US-Mexican boarder. We were all equipped with 4x4s. I was the only one who always put it in 4x4 before getting off road; and I never got stuck. The Boeing engineers got stuck all of the time.

Putting an off-road vehicle in all-wheel drive as soon as leaving the pavement, not only avoids getting stuck, but reduces wear on the tires, because the rears are not spinning in the dust, because the fronts have traction, also it saves the roads, because the ruts in off-road trails are due to 2xs (or 4xs in 2x) getting stuck, or spinning out in soft areas.

Beyond Biodiesel

Thanks, Rod, yes Sedona is beautiful and there are 4 national forests within 50 miles, and within 100 mile radius the elevation changes from 1200feet to 15000 feet. All good places to explore with a deuce.

swampzr2

Man I hate cleaning the mud off the deuce! Last time I took mine wheeling it took 10 hours to get the bulk mud off and it was over 400# of clay/mud!!!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled the axles, drained the diffs, and pulled the brakes apart today. Total damage done was 1 wheel had a little evidence of water in the bearing grease. All the drums had sand in them. So now it has clean 90wt in each axle. New bearing grease in each bearing. And all new seals at each corner. All the seals came from my spares. The 90 wt was left over from a previous project. And the grease is always on hand. Just a lot of work for the day.
Work smart, not hard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks