• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U Ship... Non runner... all wheels... What category are People using?

spankybear

I want to but up a bid on Uship but unsure what category are you using. Tried truck but really no place to describe.

mccullek

Everything I’ve shipped went through veritread and I got great prices and easy deliveries, so I’ve had great luck with them. Just saying.

If shipping freight, freightquote.com is one to check as well.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also trying to get a non running, missing both front wheels from Cali to Fort lauderdale, but quotes are just insane. I can use a flatbed trailer as they use a forklift to load and a forklift or wrecker to offload

GTUnit

UShip has a terrible listing interface. Use Car category and list it as a Hummer H1, not a HMMWV. All that matters is the size and weight and not the exact make or model. Post it with what little detail the dumb interface allows and then you will have to reply to each individual estimate with a description.
I have used both sites successfully. List it on both and see what responses you get if you cant find a local guy.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GTUnit above has an excellent idea as listing it as a H1 .. I was a uShip carrier, as well as a shipper on there for some time .. As a carrier, I got tired of being undercut by brokers, who subsequently would win the bid and then days later fail to provide the shipper with a carrier, or a carrier is a no-show, because the bid was too low or they got caught trying to charge the shipper more via "unseen fees" or other excuses to get a higher price.. Meanwhile, this delay would put me days beyond my hauling opening by the time the shipper emails to say "winning carrier fell through, can you haul my stuff? " Got really tired of the waste of time of it, from a carrier's side of it, thus no more.... However, from a shipper's standpoint, have shipped out several long hauls successfully using a couple private carriers (not brokers) I came to know

For those who have never done uShip, here is what to watch out for and expect:

1: Brokers are the ones who flood your inbox first, making promises and the pressure (we can do this today if you take my bid, blah blah blah). Many of their usernames make them appear they are actual truckers, but many are not. This is why they can email you so fast, they are looking to take your money so they can farm your haul out for less to an actual trucker

2: Don't fall for it, because their prices start high and if you don't bite they start dropping, often lower than an actual trucker will bid. If you bite based on a low broker bid, they take your money first and then look for some sucker to do the haul cheap. Usually they can't find anyone so they try to tack on fuel fees or other ways to get more money, or they send eventual no-shows, or someone questionable arriving days late thus your load arrives days late.. This doesn't mix with logistics of catering a specific pickup time/day and specific delivery time/day

3: Read the feedback reviews on the bidders/carriers, you will see a common pattern with most of them. Stay away from that majority

4: Give your listing time.. Truckers are busy all day.. It will take time for one to get a chance to see your listing and see if your situation fits in with where they will be when you need it picked up/delivered.. You will get a real good price if you both are lucky enough that your load keeps them from having an empty leg of the trip.. Many times I advertised so I didn't have to run empty outbound on my way to pick up equipment I purchased anywhere east of the mississippi.. Most of the time, my available dates did not line up thanks to game-playing brokers, thus I already had run empty out there, got my load, and was halfway home when I would get the call "I canned the broker, you still interested in picking up my truck while you are headed empty out to (insert state here) ?" "Sorry man, I left your state two days ago and am almost home" .. Getting yourself on a load board is another way, but regardless, no matter which way you do it, it can be stressful and requires due-diligence and plenty of researching the feedback

Last edited:

M1165A1

Since we have some shipping expertise, what’s the best way to send a pallet of parts cross country? I have a 48x48x48 crate containing an OGPK setup that’s in Florida and that I need to send to Colorado.

I have no experience with LTL services, should I just use T-force (old UPS service) or FedEx freight? It wouldn’t be a problem for me to get to a terminal to pick it up as I have a trailer.

mccullek

Since we have some shipping expertise, what’s the best way to send a pallet of parts cross country? I have a 48x48x48 crate containing an OGPK setup that’s in Florida and that I need to send to Colorado.

I have no experience with LTL services, should I just use T-force (old UPS service) or FedEx freight? It wouldn’t be a problem for me to get to a terminal to pick it up as I have a trailer.
I have used freightquote.com and had some decent shipping prices. Worth a try as you don't have to accept any of their instant quotes.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Google up the closest LTL terminal and give them a call. Works good if you can drop off and pick up at the terminals on both ends, They do not like residential deliveries. $$$$$ Will not get a lot cheaper than that, and you need a real sturdy box and pallet. They tend to be a little rough with freight.

GTUnit

Probably YRC Freight. Its a division of Yellow which is a large, old, well established, logistics/trucking co.
The least expensive way to ship via YRC is to drop the load off at the terminal and pick it up at the terminal. It will be hard to beat their rates.
If you need delivery on one side or the other then shipping to a Business with a loading dock or fork lift is the next cheapest option.
Most expensive will be residential if a truck with a lift gate is required.
You dont need an account on YRC to run quotes or to ship. The account only gives you a record of shipment history. It does not provide any discounts.
I like to runa few quotes several different ways to see what the price difference is. Sometimes the difference between the freight terminal pickup and local delivery is not worth taking the drive and Im ok paying extra. For freight class you can fudge it by using 70 to start out.

Crapgame

For LTL, I have been using Yellow Freight YRC.com for everything from shipping pallets from GovPlanet to shipping parts I don't need to others, parts that just too big/heavy for me to deal with. You palletize it, go on their website to fill in all the info, select a level of service, pay with a card, print out your docs. They will pick up and deliver residential using pallet jack.

The pick up date and time may likely not be the actual date they pick up. They do go into most of the GP load sites during the week, so they consolidate pick ups. You need to call dispatch to make sure they get a copy of the Item Release Form GP requires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks