• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UGC-74 teletype

mm58

Just learned of the existence of a cool little RTTY machine, the UGC-74.

Looks to be a good compact size for MV installation and playing with ham radio RTTY.

Anybody have experience with one? Pros? Cons? Words of wisdom to a possible buyer?

Spec I saw says it needs both 28vdc and 115vac. Is this true, or can it operate solely on either?

Thanks for any help

Mike

m38inmaine

I had one working in my AN/GRC-142 shelter. It will use either stand alone voltage, I ran mine on 115v AC. You will also need a cable to the modem and radio. New ink ribbons can be tough to find, mine was a UGC74"B" model.

papakb

At around 85 pounds they certainly aren't portable even if they do have handles! Don't buy an unlettered model, stay with a C model if you can, they have dot matrix heads in them instead of character drums. Lots of nice options for them, even a memory pack. Fairly straight forward to interface and use, just on the heavy side and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a shock mount for one. Maybe I'll dig mine out one of these days.

Kurt

KG6KMJ

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Guys, I'm working on a 142C , I have found NOS teleprinters with the paper and ribbon kits and NOS cables , do any of you have the sliding rails under your printers? I need to see what these look like and how they mount , there is also a version that mounts the printer solid into the racking,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks