• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UGC-74 teletype

mm58

Just learned of the existence of a cool little RTTY machine, the UGC-74.

Looks to be a good compact size for MV installation and playing with ham radio RTTY.

Anybody have experience with one? Pros? Cons? Words of wisdom to a possible buyer?

Spec I saw says it needs both 28vdc and 115vac. Is this true, or can it operate solely on either?

Thanks for any help

Mike

m38inmaine

I had one working in my AN/GRC-142 shelter. It will use either stand alone voltage, I ran mine on 115v AC. You will also need a cable to the modem and radio. New ink ribbons can be tough to find, mine was a UGC74"B" model.

papakb

At around 85 pounds they certainly aren't portable even if they do have handles! Don't buy an unlettered model, stay with a C model if you can, they have dot matrix heads in them instead of character drums. Lots of nice options for them, even a memory pack. Fairly straight forward to interface and use, just on the heavy side and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a shock mount for one. Maybe I'll dig mine out one of these days.

Kurt

KG6KMJ

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Guys, I'm working on a 142C , I have found NOS teleprinters with the paper and ribbon kits and NOS cables , do any of you have the sliding rails under your printers? I need to see what these look like and how they mount , there is also a version that mounts the printer solid into the racking,