• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unanswered mystery questions about the M105 trailer....

erixun

So I have read through the TM's and have read over 300 different threads and have yet to come up with some answers to some of my trailer equipment questions. If you know and have "proof" i.e. a diagram or picture that explains or details the use of the equipment please post it! Or maybe even the proper name for it. They are probably explained/ shown in a manual somewhere, and maybe I missed it, if you know where or what manual any of these questions are explained/shown please post a link or the actual page, thanks!!

It usually is the typical "Well my brothers uncles wife had a father that said it was for this...." I have plenty of those examples but not any actual evidence. I swear that there are parts and uses for this stuff that is like bigfoot.... some have heard about it, some might have actually seen it, but rarely is it documented. (And thus searchable)

The first question I had was concerning the square holes that are on the side of the trailer body. I have yet to find a reason for these in any manual, but the consensus is that they were for the jigs used to manufacture the trailer.

A square holes.jpg

The next question is what is the use of these trailer tongue brackets? (indicated by the red arrows in the first two pictures) They are heavy duty and are not found on all the trailers, but I have seen enough pictures from around the country of these trailers to know that they are not a specific units "upgrade" or modification, and the welding looks to be factory as well. I did not see another "bracket" further under the trailer that would indicate that these would be a holder of some sort of long shafted tool or something. I dont think they are lifting sling brackets as I thought those are on the side of the trailer as indicated in the trailer side picture (red arrow). And if they are tie downs.... holy $%&# what are we tying down that would be that big/heavy that could even fit in the trailer?
A tongue bracket 1.jpg
A lifting sling.jpgA tongue bracket 2.jpg

Last question for this post.... and might be related to the second question/brackets... what are the big brackets under the rear of the trailer (indicated by the yellow arrow). There are "swing down clevis or D rings" under as shown by removing the pin indicated by the red arrow. Then the D ring (green arrow) swings down and is used for what? I assume for actually securing loads in the trailer as a tie down point, any diagrams of anything being secured in the trailer and saying to utilize these in this way? So what is the big bracket used for? (yellow arrow)

A back bracket.jpg

Thanks in advance....

Last edited:

jasonjc

The yellow arrow is the newer typ tie down. It's use to tie/chain down the trailer for shipment like by rail or ship. The square hole's were put there by aliens:p. And the pic of the tongue brackets is missing. Or I'd give you my $0.02 there two.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Square holes - aliens

Big round holes on back drop down for shipping the trailer itself same as front. Those are the new style. They are lifting points.

KsM715

Ditto on the square holes.

The HD brackets on the front and rear are for lifting the whole (and possibly loaded) trailer. The lift points on the bed are just that, lift points for the bed and bed only. They were not meant to lift the trailer (frame and all) by just the bed.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have rail loaded more of those trailers and ther trucks they were attached to more than I care to remember. The "loops" of various styles are lifting/tiedown points. The square holes, not one person I have asked in the Army had a good answer to, other than I have no idea.

3dAngus

I was in the Army, so I think I'm qualified to say.

The square hole is for a round peg. :p

They are not on all the M105s. Good questions for sure. I've always wondered the same. These trailers have more tie downs, lifts, and hoist points then anything in the civilian world ever will. They are just ready for anything.

Flyingvan911

The square holes are to lighten the trailer to meet the secret trailer weight treaty we signed with the Russians during the cold war. A trailer weight race would have wiped out both countries with one blow. Those three ounces of metal preserved world peace.

Really, I wonder if it could be some sort of mount for a bracket to lift the trailer bodies at the factory for painting or something.

erixun

So no one knows what the holes are for, only speculation, interesting. And the huge welded "rings" were used for tie downs for rail transport by some. Any one have a manual that shows that these are what they were designed/supposed to be used for? I know thats what they were used by some for, but I too was in the military and I know that we used alot of stuff that was convienent to use, but was not maybe exactly designed for that particular use. I looked in some transportation manuals and could not find reference to these, and I know some rail transports used axle tie downs as well. If the rings up front were for tie down lifting why the two holes? Wouldnt just one loop suffice for both uses? (Tie down and sling lift?) And the rear loops are far enough under that if you lifted the trailer by these, you would crush the bed. On my M923 there are sling points by the rear axles, and associated "guides"/supports welded to the bed to prevent this, why would the M105 be lacking those? Surely someone sling lifted one and found that they crushed the bed on the first go around so they addressed it on the A1, A2 etc modification, upgrades... course it is the gooberment so who knows. I also find it interesting that the trailers with the same designation and years of manufacturing are different, but the manuals do not explain this, atleast not what I have seen so far. Thanks for the replies anyway.Cheers :beer:

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the rings up front were for tie down lifting why the two holes? Wouldnt just one loop suffice for both uses? (Tie down and sling lift?)
Most rail regulations and DOT regs require that the load be tied down at 4 points so a single loop wouldn't work.

erixun

Most rail regulations and DOT regs require that the load be tied down at 4 points so a single loop wouldn't work.
I meant just one hole on each side of the tongue, so it would still be four points, two up front left/right and two in the rear, left/right-- the loops on my trailer have a larger one on top of a smaller one- so what I was meaning was instead of the two holes in the one bracket- just one loop on each side. It just seems like a huge waste of material for a tie down is all.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM would be transportability guidance. I haven't a clue where mine is but it covers quite a bit on securing things for rail transport. Why this nation has stepped away (to a degree) from rail I will never understand.

3dAngus

The rails are making a comeback. Warren Buffet has invested $Billions in them, not only for the rails, which are seeing increased business today, but for the real estate and rights of way.
Can you imagine the uninterrupted real estate from one end of this country to another, without having to buy out thousands of private owners, to put in a super highway for Wind turbine farm electricity grids or other utilities. It's all there....

Blendmaster2002

I thought the hefty mounts on the trailer were for Helicopter Transport, I have a 1993 M105a2 with them and my MKT-90 kitchen trailer has them. The first 4 pictures are of the kitchen trailer and shows the helicopter transport plate, mounts and lift/tie down plate. The other pics are of my M105a2 mounts and lift/tie down plate.

Attachments

shenkmen

I thought the hefty mounts on the trailer were for Helicopter Transport, I have a 1993 M105a2 with them and my MKT-90 kitchen trailer has them. The first 4 pictures are of the kitchen trailer and shows the helicopter transport plate, mounts and lift/tie down plate. The other pics are of my M105a2 mounts and lift/tie down plate.
Excellent info. Now I have something new to do with my CH-47.

Reactions: HDN

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The newer trailers have the shipping info dataplate. It makes it easier when air/railloading when the info is right infront of your face as your doing it.

sandcobra164

Square hole on the side is for allowing the locking spring of the rear rack when it's mounted to the side of the trailer. They're on both sides. I thought I could find a picture but looks like I have to go take one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks