• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog Tires 20" rims. 12.5 r20

Speedwoble

What is the offset of the drum-brake rims vs the disk rims?
If memory serves, they are 3” different, so 6” additional track width. The particular rims I have are off of a US military mine sweeper. They had hit the parking brake on the rear of my Unimog #2, so I had just run them on the front. Someone else on this forum has them on a FLU with no problems, so I am going to give it a second shot. I have 3/8” and 5/8” spacers in case I need them.

419g

If memory serves, they are 3” different, so 6” additional track width. The particular rims I have are off of a US military mine sweeper. They had hit the parking brake on the rear of my Unimog #2, so I had just run them on the front. Someone else on this forum has them on a FLU with no problems, so I am going to give it a second shot. I have 3/8” and 5/8” spacers in case I need them.
How did they work? Picked up my Flu today, tires need to be wider for terrain. 12.5 x 20 Michelin on it now.

Speedwoble

How did they work? Picked up my Flu today, tires need to be wider for terrain. 12.5 x 20 Michelin on it now.
I ran the 14.5R20’s for a year, then got a set of 380/75R20(14.5R20) Ag tread tires I mounted. With the bigger tires, it is slower to accelerate, but has greater flotation. I have not been in a situation where I tested the flotation to say how much better. I would occasionally get rubbing, when turning around corners. Not bad. I am not sure how the rubbing would be with stock disc brake rims.
20C54D81-EC6A-4B85-9A0D-232FEBD0CB92.jpeg
106112DE-7554-4275-A9EC-A2382708EA9F.jpeg
21C794F0-AA65-4A68-BAA7-9B586AA773B2.jpeg

Last edited:

Speedwoble

Speedwobble,

What are those orange wheels? I like. I need to get new tires and I really like your setup.

SJ/JD
They are rims off a South African mine sweeper. They are dimensionally similar to the Unimog Drum brake rims, but they do not clear the rear brake calipers without a 12.7mm spacer.
They came with 12.5R20 “Sand Trail” tires that I sold separately. I bought a set of 8 and just recently sold the other 4 rims on the Unimog exchange.
I have them powder coated orange because the long term plan is to paint it like an MB4/94.

419g

I ran the 14.5R20’s for a year, then got a set of 380/75R20(14.5R20) Ag tread tires I mounted. With the bigger tires, it is slower to accelerate, but has greater flotation. I have not been in a situation where I tested the flotation to say how much better. I would occasionally get rubbing, when turning around corners. Not bad. I am not sure how the rubbing would be with stock disc brake rims.
View attachment 808220
View attachment 808222
View attachment 808223
I was looking at those ! Good to see, Now only if I knew they fit my rims / body . Those drum rims sit out 3" and if they rub on yours maybe inoperable on my rims :(

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking at those ! Good to see, Now only if I knew they fit my rims / body . Those drum rims sit out 3" and if they rub on yours maybe inoperable on my rims :(
At the point of running these kinds of tires, you've basically accepted you're going to have some amount of rub. Where you might run into significant issues is with caliper clearance. Speedwobble apparently shimmed his out. I don't know, but if you mod the wheel itself, you might be able to build in enough spacing there that the caliper will clear without shims?

Speedwoble

At the point of running these kinds of tires, you've basically accepted you're going to have some amount of rub. Where you might run into significant issues is with caliper clearance. Speedwobble apparently shimmed his out. I don't know, but if you mod the wheel itself, you might be able to build in enough spacing there that the caliper will clear without shims?
There was a member on here from Louisiana, Profo? That was running 365/80R20(14.5R20) on the stock rims, and Alpine44 in Georgia is as well(I think it was mentioned previously in this thread). I went to the Drum rims for stability, not clearance.

Last edited:

Speedwoble

Last edited:

419g

Yeah, those look like the ones I have. I wish I had bought a spare when they were available. I had to get spacers laser cut to clear the brake caliper. I would love to find longer studs because the nuts are flush with the 12.7mm studs.
Found that the Nitto 38X15. 50R20 Mud Grappler or the 40X15.5R20 might be the perfect if it was not for the rub. How thick was the spacer? Aluminum? This Italian company makes a nice spacer set for 600 Euro http://www.distanziali.it/2020/03/05/distanziali-unimog/ Think that would do it?

Speedwoble

Found that the Nitto 38X15. 50R20 Mud Grappler or the 40X15.5R20 might be the perfect if it was not for the rub. How thick was the spacer? Aluminum? This Italian company makes a nice spacer set for 600 Euro http://www.distanziali.it/2020/03/05/distanziali-unimog/ Think that would do it?
What is the rubbing you keep talking about? My tires rub on the fenders and/or step because they are 43” in diameter. The spacers were 12.7mm and only needed for those particular rims to clear the caliper on the rear. I run those rims for additional track width and the stability it provides. I don’t run them for tire clearance. I got the spacers laser cut at work and spray painted them. If you want a set, I can share the dxf file, but they are only needed for those rims.
Those Italian Aluminum spacers look nice, and would help the track width if you can’t find a set of drum rims. But may not be wide enough for the longer studs on the FLU. Do your research carefully. Pull a rim and measure the stud length compared to the spacer thickness.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
would these be a good replacement for the stock tires?
335/80r20 Pirelli PS 22 16Ply (12.5R20) New Tires (41" tire)
That's what I'd heard mentioned by the guy I've buying all my MV tires from. They're decent enough... I'll get either these or some AG tires when I go for new tires on the SEE. There are tons of the Pirellis out there right now apparently so you might be able to bargain on pricing if you buy a set.

SeeNebraska

That's what I'd heard mentioned by the guy I've buying all my MV tires from. They're decent enough... I'll get either these or some AG tires when I go for new tires on the SEE. There are tons of the Pirellis out there right now apparently so you might be able to bargain on pricing if you buy a set.
the michelin xl's i have are in fine shape (like new) except for the 1 i blew out the sidewall on last week. So my dilema is whether to buy a replacement michelin and a spare and spend the same amount on shipping them or go ahead and buy 5 of the Pirelli's and pay the same on shipping. If i'm getting a better, tougher tire it makes the cost sting less but if the pirelli's are not much different than the michelins it will feel like a waste of money.

the decision would be easy if i could find a michelin within a few hour drive...

thingamadigger

405/70R20 michelin xm's will rub on the mudflaps, and occasionally just touch the top of the spring mount, but that's it. They spooned them on quite easily, and I have yet to get stuck or blow one off the bead in a rut. (both of which occured with the stock tires) Ride is a little harsher, and more sensitve to tire pressures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks