• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unknown broken bolt under M1008

rjager

Hi all,

Tonight I discovered this bolt lying under my M1008, no idea where it came from.
It was in the neighbourhood of the transmission
Its about 4 inch long.
I checked under the car to see is there is a bolt missing but could not find a spot where it could have been?
DSC_1680.jpg
I will check again tomorrow with more daylight and some extra torches.
Does anyone recognize this bolt or could some one just be playing a prank on me?

perhaps its a silly question but I just want to be sure.

scoutdoors1000

I had this happed. Get yourself a set of screw outs. Take your time and follow the directions. Go very slow. I would advise a set of jack stands too. SLOWLY drill with bolt out then take the sucker out. Had mine done in less than 1 hour

rjager

Did a quick check on the starter with a flashlight and there is indeed a bolt missing so that mystery is solved.
Any hints on removing the leftover part? (Thanks Scoutdoors1000 for the hint, we posted at the same time)

Patracy, what the relation with a possible broken block?

FarmerRob

Prepare as well for a broken block... your bad day has probably already started.
Aww... don't scare the poor guy. Half of the threads are missing, so it obviously broke and didn't just back out so maybe the PO just over-torqued it. [thumbzup]

On the plus side, just about every iron-block GM V8 uses the same bolts, so you should be able to find one at your local auto parts store!

Last edited:

FarmerRob

Did a quick check on the starter with a flashlight and there is indeed a bolt missing so that mystery is solved.
Any hints on removing the leftover part?

Patracy, what the relation with a possible broken block?
Remove the starter (DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES FIRST!!) and you may get lucky enough that there's still a nub sticking out out of the hole, which you can grab with a set of vise grips and twist out. If not, get yourself a good center punch and a set of left-hand-twist drill bits and go to town. It should come out pretty easy.

If the block were to crack in the vicinity of the threaded hole this bolt goes into, then the bolt would loosen and fall out. Since this bolt appears to be broken, you're probably safe from that fate.

85CUCVtom

And do yourself a favor and get the genuine GM bolts. They are of nicer quality than the Chinese part store bolts.

GM part number: 15544950
Sold in a pack of 5

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have to drill it out use a left-handed drill bit , alot of times they will turn the broken bolt out.

rjager

Thanks all for the responses.
I will have to mail order the bolts, most local shops have european stuff but no USA parts.
(in my opinion we need more usa cars over here)

If I get the bolts before the weekend I will fix everything then but tonight I will first check for the bracket, if its not there I will order one also.
After checking, dust off the TM's and read.

Ill let know when the repair is done.

rjager

Hopefully all are found in the driveway, imagine it had fallen off somewhere on the parking lot of a supermarket. ;)

Would never have noticed it until my really bad day started showing itself :-(

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM your address and I will send you some starter bolts. Do you know what type of starter you have? Direct Drive or Gear Reduction. And do you have the support bracket?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Skinny gear reduction on the left and fatter direct drive on the right.

PM your mailing address and I'll send you some bolts. I have a extras

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks