• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Up to Date Super Singles for the Deuce?

Bowmanvolfire

Hello Forum:

There is some scattered info on the Forum concerning the conversion to super singles for the Deuce. Our VFD has a 1969 American General that we have put about a thousand bucks into tire repairs and replacement in the last couple of years.

We would like to convert the truck to super singles.

What is the current process look like these days? We would like to use the current tire/wheels that the Stewart Stevenson family of 2.5/5 tons are using these days as we can acquire them fairly cheap.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

v/r
John
Chief, BCVFD

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mrap rims and Peashooter adapters...

Then the 395's of your choice.

Edit - the lmtv rims are 10 lug, and compatible with 939series trucks, but obviously not compatible with the M35. The M35A2 is 6 lug. The MRAP rims are also 10 lug, but there's enough room for a 10 to 6 adapter plate. Expect to pay about $100 per rim and close to that for adapter plates. Or there's the option of M35A3 rims which accept super singles and are 6 lug. But the thing is, the M35A3 rims cost as much as MRAP rims + Adapters so I see no point..

Last edited:

Bowmanvolfire

Hello:

Thank you for the replies so far. 98G where do we get the Peashooter adaptors? Dave, besides price, what is the difference between the one piece and two piece rim? Personal preference?

Thanks again.

v/r
John

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_3155.jpg

I have 6 NOS Aluminum MRAP rims. $100 each. I can deliver from OKC in a few weeks. By all means look around - you may get a better deal, but if not then these are available. I've got to dismount the tires from them, as the tires are going on my 5ton.

I'm open to trades of LMTV rims and tires.

This is what they look like on an M35A2 with Peashooter adapters. This set is black, mine are tan.

country

Supporting Vendor
The difference in our rims is

1- the 1 piece rim will mount front or rear axle without having to " flip the hubs" and no o-ring air leaks to fight

2- the 2 piece rim is the original M35A3 rim and will require you flip the hubs on the rear axle if the truck is an M35A2

Dave
www.easternsurplus.net

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is some scattered info on the Forum concerning the conversion to super singles for the Deuce. ................
Some...? I would say there is tons of info out there, about this exact topic!
I suggest reading this good thread... Pretty much every possible option has been discussed here, including pics; drawings and possible suppliers. You certainly will learn some about the difference between 1-piece; 2-pc or even 3-pc super-single wheels.
The good thing is that the FMTV tires (395/85R20) can be mounted and run on a Deuce, using any of the wheel options described there.

And if you wanted to dig deeper into the details and differences between the various 5-ton single-wheels that have been adapted (re-centered) to be used on our Deuces, take a look here...

G.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For liability reasons, you may not want to use a custom built rim/rim adaptor combination that's not DOT approved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks