• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UPDATED w/PHOTOs 9-8-08 M35A2 Recovery Trip FT Lewis

wsucougarx

Everything went great during my first recovery trip. I think I may have overprepared for this trip. I brought two of everything. I was ready for Murphy to make an appearance...apparently he was off somewhere else. GL Fort Lewis as just GREAT. Lonnie really helps you out. In fact that's been my experience during inspections. Tony and Lonnie are great guys to deal with.

Anyways here's my log
07SEP08-Secured DOT temp road trip permit, got necessary insurance coverage.
08SEP08- Loaded up remaining supplies into the back of my Dodge Cummins, hardly slept that night in anticipation for the mornings pickup.
09SEP08
0545hr-Woke up and took care of morning rituals, got loaded up on coffee. Said a long prayer for a safe journey to/from Fort Lewis and hoped nothing catastrophic would happen.
0627 hrs-Fired up my Dodge Cummins and headed for FT Lewis
0731 hrs-Arrived at FT Lewis' Madigan Gate, thankfully no random searches of vehicles. I would have had my work cut out for me, unloading all those boxes of parts and fluids.
0737 hrs-Arrived at the DRMO Building and went in and saw Lonnie. Informed him I was there to pickup my truck (didn't make an appt, just showed up w/PIF invoice in hand). Lonnie searched and searched and didn't find my invoice and had no idea if it was valid. He said "oh that's right, GL is going to an online only invoice system where you can only access PAI invoices off the GL site now" Wiped the cold sweat off my face and said "oh great....whew" I had brought 3 copies of the PAI invoices so I gave him one for the official checkout one. Lonnie asked if I needed to drive out back to the deuce I said yes. He told me that Tony would be out back waiting by my truck so I didn't have a chance of driving off w/the wrong truck. The drive back was uneventful. Found Tony and asked where I could park my Dodge he said anywhere. He then asked what my plans where. I told him I was going to work on the truck for a couple hours doing the pre-trip inspection and my plans where to leave my dodge outside of the GL yard, drive the deuce home, have my wife drive me back up to get my dodge. He shook his head and said, so you're going to drive your dodge 3/4 mile to the GL customer parking lot, run back here, then drive your deuce out? I said yes. He then said "get back into your dodge and I will drive your deuce to the customer parking lot so you don't have to be doing all this running". I said okay w/out even thinking about checking for hydrostatic lock or primary fuel filter etc. It wasn't until Tony was inside of the truck and I heard the low air buzzer going off did I realize this. I felt panic and started to get out of my Dodge when I heard the majestic purrrrr of the engine going. I guess that took about 30 minutes off my pre-inspection. Tony drove the truck at a snails pace the entire 3/4 mile trip to the GL gate in 1st gear. I wasn't in any hurry. We get outside the gate and I begin with my preparation. I poured in 15 gallons diesel fuel w/conditioner for the old diesel in the tanks. I did the usual pre-inspection items. I was now ready to go
1047 hrs- The journey begins. I had some trouble w/the location of the gears. I found myself going from 1st to 5th a couple times (frustrating) and the location of 4th gear was pretty hard to get use to. Once she was on the road, everything was good. I wasn't prepared for the high decibels of the engine. My goodness I think my ears are still ringing. The first 10-15 minutes of the flight brought white smoke and the smell of burning diesel. I'm sure she was burning off built of soot from just being driven around on small trip w/the Oregon National Guard. I had planned to make a couple inspection stops on the way home but due to my earlier frustration of the gears, I felt that once she was in fifth that where she was going to stay:) I drove the 60 miles home going from 40-45 MPH or around 1800 RPM. I didn't want to push her on her maiden voyage after sitting so long. I really couldn't tell you if people waved or shook their middle finger at me or not. Believe me, I was white knuckling it the whole way home.
1221 hrs-Entered my small home town and went down mainstreet. Now this mainstreet is flanked on both side w/2-3 story buildings. The roar of this truck was incredible. I think about a dozen folks are in the hospital now due to snapping their necks so fast around to see what this roar coming the road was. Of course, I didn't help any by giving it more gas b/w buildings :lol: When I turned down my road, I had 3 people, coming in the opposite direction, pull over to let me by :lol: I'm thinking I'm not an ambulance or firetruck. Hmmm, I must be driving down the middle of the road. Got home and parked her. Got out and felt my fingers and arms tingling from the vibrations. I LOVE IT!!!!

Thanked God for guiding me safely home and prayed for this truck to be used for His glory and prayed for another TRUCK :lol:

I was finally able to pop open the locked tool box on the deuce and found some nice treats inside. There were two new 8-ton jacks inside, 4 huge lug bolt sockets, new 20 ft air hose w/tire inflator w/pressure indicator, 15 various tools incl 3 brand new Crescent wrenches, winter bra for the front end of truck new in package, chains, brand new pamphlet bad in package, 3 tool bags, bag of cotter pins, fuses, new belts, 2 new wiper blades. Also in the back where 1 brand new CARC painted cargo cover in package, one tire chock, rubber oil drip pan and somekind of aluminum ladder (steps upto the bed of truck just right). The truck also has the fiberglass troop seats and brand new bows. Newer cab soft top. Oh, and it also came w/a complete set of pioneer tools (axe, pick, pick handle, shovel).
The truck is a 1971 GENPRODDIV w/ow was overhauled 9/91 at Tooele. New CARC 1991, has a "D" motor. There is only 20,299.5 miles on this rig total!!!!!! and only 622 hours. I guess it's spent it entire life w/the Oregon National Guard :D Hardly any rust whatsoever, strange considering it has been in the Pacific Northwest for all those years. My friend thought it was probably stored in a building due to it's condition.

Pictures to follow :)

Oh and to top this week out. I just found out that the Navy selected me for Lieutenant Commander (equivalent to a Major, for all you Marines, Soldiers, and Airmen :D ). It's
been quite a week thus far. God Bless America!!!!!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: 9-8-08 M35A2 Recovery Trip FT Lewis & Promotion

Love it when a plan comes together. Congrats on both fronts

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: buck compton

Nice truck, great recovery story, it sounds like you've done OK! One question, what was all the milk for(in the back of your pick up truck). [thumbzup]

wsucougarx

Re: RE: buck compton

doghead said:
Nice truck, great recovery story, it sounds like you've done OK! One question, what was all the milk for(in the back of your pick up truck). [thumbzup]
LOL, yah those water bottles were just in case. Also, a couple of them are empty due to the problem w/the milky tranny fluid. I drained it a couple times and refilled with new during the recovery. I had absolutely no problems on the way home

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: buck compton

That is awesome ! I've never found pioneer tools on an auction truck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: buck compton

Recovry4x4 said:
That is awesome ! I've never found pioneer tools on an auction truck.
I've seen one other with them still on at the DRMO lot.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: buck compton

good deal, glad your trip ws uneventful. Nice score on all the extra goodies.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Great Story and giving thanks to God made it superb. Good things come to God people I never got those tools either but I did win a car for my wife last year totally by the Grace of God.

That is a super nice truck even has the rifle racks I am trying to find

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Congratulations Commander on the promotion and on the recovery. Glad everything went okay.

steve
USN Vet

wsucougarx

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: buck compton

swbradley1 said:
Congratulations Commander on the promotion and on the recovery. Glad everything went okay.

steve
USN Vet
Thank you, hoora. Time to trade in railroad tracks for the maple leaf :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks