• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Updating the PS install

Amxhunter

Thought i would do some milestone updates as i get things slowly moving along.

After finally coming up with a Steering Box WITH a Pittman arm and the seller included the universal joint and a sliding column , we are making progress.

Here are some shots of the progress.

The PS Box has a large output shaft and as one other one the board noted , a cutout to service the seal is a nice addition and that's what's happening here. Got the outside plate cutout to 4" and use that for a template to cut the frame.

Also , going a different route on the pittman arm, I found a 1.25" Sway Control Ball that fits the factory drag link.

the Pittman arm hole is slightly large and will be bushed to take the load and then just for safety , welded to the arm.

This dang PS Box is Heavy ! about 60 lbs. having a lot of fun getting it up and into place, what a butt buster !!!

Also on the frame shot you can see the lines on top of the frame rail , getting ready to trim that out.

This mod is definitely not plug and play , but the end result will be worth it.

Attachments

baxter

Great looking job you have done well keep up the good work and the great pics. I wish I had taken more pics of mine. Where did you end up getting the box.

Amxhunter

Great looking job you have done well keep up the good work and the great pics. I wish I had taken more pics of mine. Where did you end up getting the box.

got it from these guys

HeavyTruckParts.Net - Results for Ford LN700 Steering Gear / Rack

Ask for Ryan 303-536-9865 But , you need to review their website to be sure they have what youre looking for.

turns out mine was off a LN700 Ford 1975 model.

After buying this one , several more popped up on other HD truck parts sites, so should not be a problem to find one.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amxhunter, I'm trying hard to "follow" some aspects of your project...:???:
(Please feel free to PM me... if you are open to suggestions)

G.

Amxhunter

i didn't see that on the 'site.

...except it's being used for something way outside of it's intended use.

basically, your whole steering system is founded upon a 5/8" shank.

Have you seen the Ball on the OEM Pittman Arm ? Same Situation. Shank is threaded into the arm. Mine will be bolted then TIG'ed , a LOT stronger than stock.

hemichallenger

The drag linq also came off a freightliner. I have bent to many deuce drag linqs. I was not trying to offend you just showing you the way i did this one

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you seen the Ball on the OEM Pittman Arm ? Same Situation. Shank is threaded into the arm. Mine will be bolted then TIG'ed , a LOT stronger than stock.
:confused:
....... I just can't find any threads on mine...

Actually its a 7/8 to 3/4 cone, press fit into the arm and riveted!!

G.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's weird.....
No, that ball came off of the steering arm, not pitman arm...
Anyways, you can see now that neither one has its shank "threaded into the arm".
Both arms take the same size std. cone and in that picture you found, I was trying to show that it is easy to replace the whole OEM draglink and balls with something more modern.

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Comparing the strength of a single forged piece with a welded piece is not easy IMHO.
Agreed, Bjorn. That's why I prefer to do some "destructive" testing with the very same parts in question: for example, cut all but a small "bridge" on that pitman arm or draglink to be modded and bend to break, see what happens, how it looks like. Then (MIG)weld a small portion, break off back again and so on... At least one gets a pretty good idea of how fragile or ductile the steel in and around the joint is, where it tends to break, how the cristaline structure looks like in comparison, etc... nothing really scientific but it gives me sufficient peace of mind!:wink:

Gerhard

Amxhunter

PS Install is DONE and Tested. Got about 100 miles on it so far and no signs of any problems.

Unless you count I'm not getting any Armstrong exercise anymore !

Will post some more pictures. The biggest problem and as has been discussed was the pass through hole for the pittman arm.

The factory one is slightly off from what is actually needed and the hole had to be enlarged. Due to this and some visible flexing in the frame rail some aditional reinforcement was necessary in that area. It worked out OK as the add on allowed the mounting of the ear to catch the upper mounting bolt.

My luck, was the first PS Box i got was bad and only turned one way..

Oh well. So far it's been a blast to drive now and I have to remind myself not to overpower the steering as it will go stop to stop with no problem.

JasonS

No, that ball came off of the steering arm, not pitman arm...
Anyways, you can see now that neither one has its shank "threaded into the arm".
Both arms take the same size std. cone and in that picture you found, I was trying to show that it is easy to replace the whole OEM draglink and balls with something more modern.

G.
I have replaced this style of ball stud on 47-53 chevy pickups. Replacement, threaded ball studs are available for the 1/2 ton and may also be available for larger trucks of the same era which also fit the M35.

Ball Stud-On Pitman Arm-Classic Parts

Adjusting the drag link, pitman and steering arm for pre-1953 Advance Design trucks