• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upgrade complete

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's good to see the site back up again. Thanks for all of your hard work, Drew! I would also like to thank Shane at Pinion Media who set up the software and developed the new design and layout. Now, I understand change is hard for a lot of you guys, but trust me, you will grow to like the new software and it will become easier for you to use. The old version was full of bugs and security vulnerabilities, so it had to go. We spent a lot of time and money over the last year to bring this change about. I understand that some members have issues with color/contrast so I made sure our developer created a high contrast theme as well. We will make that option available ASAP. The next few days and maybe even weeks will be spent tweaking the design and options. I ask for your patience during this time and I ask that you not run around the site yelling about the sky falling. We will get through this change and it will be much better on the other side.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andrew will likely be sleeping all day as he was up all night. I can assure everyone that tapatoke will be back, please be patient. Just let this ride for a day or two, the crew has worked tirelessly hurrying to get you folks back online, give them some time to get some rest, get the screen bugs out of their eyes and to start addressing the little things.

As an old time here that has seen now 4 format changes, this one was the most seamless transitions I've seen.

3dAngus

What happened to the classifieds?
The classifieds are still here, they are just not info-mapped on the front page as previously.

To get to the classifieds, click on "Forums" on the front page, then page all the way down to the different classified forums and click on the one of your choosing.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, h*ll of a job, compliments, don't envy you [thumbzup]. Off course a lot of people (me too) will always like the old version better for some time (and like this version better after your next upgrade). We're just tooooo old to easily accept change. old-men-smiley.gif

- The "activity stream" and the "what's new" button end up on the same page, took me some time to realize that with a quickly-changing page like this and expecting something special with "activity stream".

- On my screen, the header section takes over 50% of my screen height. I can tweak it but then the posts are hard to read. I normally use tweaked Firefox with add-blocks, but the same happens in the standard, not tweaked settings in Internet Explorer.

- In Firefox 16 (which is actually version 4 with a lot of smaller updates) the list of threads (right column) is left-adjusted, in IE 9 the same list appears as centered?

- Some avatars showing up in the list of threads (not talking about reading individual threads here but about the starting page) take up a lot of real estate, running over the thread title and/or making the thread taking a lot of unnecessary vertical space. Is this a question of each user having to refresh his/her own avatar or you will automatically limit it or??? For me, we could do without them in that lists, but its not really important.

Last edited:

135gmc

For those of us whose eyes aren't quite as sharp as they used to be, please take a good look at the colors of lettering and the background. White on gray isn't too bad, but the orange is very difficult to read -

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The classifieds are still here, they are just not info-mapped on the front page as previously.

To get to the classifieds, click on "Forums" on the front page, then page all the way down to the different classified forums and click on the one of your choosing.
Thanks

WOW, what a production, sure hope that maybe a classifieds button can be added to make things eaiser for members going to this sub forum

Last edited:

Tlauden

I'm currently on my IPad and the color choice looks GREAT. love the orange/white lettering on this gray background! Personally after just browsing the site for about 5 minutes I find everything to make sense, well organized and easy to use. A job well done by everyone involved in the upgrade!!!

I look forward to having TapaTalk back in operation, my android phone doesn't like this site when open in an Internet browser such as Firefox or the standard Android browser. Ill be patient though, I know the rush was to get the site working again, I guess the few of us that use TapaTalk will have a bit more waiting to do.

Again Good Job!!!!

P.S. does anyone else keep getting a little "auto save" thingy when typing a response???

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I get the auto save. It is a great feature that I use a lot on another website. Helps out a lot when you have fat fingers, and hit the key that makes everything go away. :mrgreen:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not feeling it with the new site format. Sorry, some like it and some don't. I'm the latter. I'm okay with the new setup, and the new colors, the fact that a lot of things are slightly changed, that's all good. But the new format on the front page with every single updated post from all users, rather than the list of threads that have had recent updates, is going to drive me bonkers. Well, more bonkers than usual. If the old site ain't coming back, there ain't nothing we can do about that. But is there a way to change the format of the new upgrades to show only the active threads, as I mentioned? I fear it's going to be very taxing for a lot of people to go through the list of every single reply to a thread from every member, just to hit the threads we want to see.

Thanks for the hard work, patracy, regardless.
Sorry but as I mentioned earlier that function was brought on by a add-on called CMPS. vBulletin now has CMS which suits our needs.

I second the return of Tapatalk. I acess the forum alot from my phone and it is not very uset friendly.

Also try saving the new post page as your start page in your browser.

Seams to work as as a start page. Also the contrast in the posts is good for me
Working on tapatalk now.

This is going to sound dumb, how do I find the classifieds, in the old format, there was a button, along with other bottons on top of each page, is there a quick button on the page some where, sure would be eaiser to jump oerto the classifieds, I am the classified mod, I sure would like to know how to get to the classifieds

thanks
Added link on main page to classifieds.

Like others here I'm a bit 'long in the tooth' and changes don't go down easy. I really liked the last format the best, but it is what it is now.....me I'll probably check in from time to time.....but I believe ya don't go tryin to fix something that's not broke, but apparently that's not the case here..2cents..

Later!!
The upgrade was to address the "long in the tooth" layout of the site. But more importantly it was to move the forum software up several levels. And repair a TON of software issues.

Don't mind upgrades at all but I am having trouble figuring this whole thing out!!! I really hate to think that if this is like other sites I have been on that made it too hard for me, than I won't be spending as much time on it.

Absolutely HATE the what's new button............that is way too annoying..........and I hope the Face book stuff won't have to be used at all.........I will NOT get on here if it does, I want NOTHING to do with that site. And don't even want any part of it on my computer system.
They'll be a learning curve, I can't deny that. But it's still vBulletin.

If the "what's new" button is too much, try the new posts button.

The social media integration is totally optional.

Andrew will likely be sleeping all day as he was up all night. I can assure everyone that tapatoke will be back, please be patient. Just let this ride for a day or two, the crew has worked tirelessly hurrying to get you folks back online, give them some time to get some rest, get the screen bugs out of their eyes and to start addressing the little things.

As an old time here that has seen now 4 format changes, this one was the most seamless transitions I've seen.
Unfortunately 2.5hrs sleep and I'm back at it. But I'd much appreciate any slack I can get.

I guess for computer oriented people, IT types and security reasons this is an upgrade, but...........
Well we could have stayed on the broken hacked up version of vB that we were on. The same one that I've had to apply patch after patch to due to exploits. (I'll have to do it here though as well) But the major thing was all the broken things with the site. (Thread controls)

I'm currently on my IPad and the color choice looks GREAT. love the orange/white lettering on this gray background! Personally after just browsing the site for about 5 minutes I find everything to make sense, well organized and easy to use. A job well done by everyone involved in the upgrade!!!

I look forward to having TapaTalk back in operation, my android phone doesn't like this site when open in an Internet browser such as Firefox or the standard Android browser. Ill be patient though, I know the rush was to get the site working again, I guess the few of us that use TapaTalk will have a bit more waiting to do.

Again Good Job!!!!

P.S. does anyone else keep getting a little "auto save" thingy when typing a response???
As mentioned, I'm about to start loading tapatalk. As to the "auto save". That's a new function in 4.2. Hopefully it'll prevent someone from typing out a long winded response and loose it only because they mistakenly hit the wrong button or experienced network connection issues.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it would be good for the classifieds section to have a thumbnail for the auctions with pictures shown in the listing of items for sale, like it was in the old site.

Tlauden

As mentioned, I'm about to start loading tapatalk. As to the "auto save". That's a new function in 4.2. Hopefully it'll prevent someone from typing out a long winded response and loose it only because they mistakenly hit the wrong button or experienced network connection issues.

Thanks!!! I do like the idea of having an auto-save :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just searched through the control panel and didn't find any setting that allow you to change the color schemes. There are some other nifty options, I am liking the 40 replies per page :)
That was on the other software as well. I touted it quite a bit when folks would say "Look, 10 pages already" when it was barely 2 for me. Please folks, take a few minutes and go look through your settings, there are many things you can do on your own. Ron, I didn't see askin change but that doesn't mean one won't be incorporated later.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Strong Work, gentlemen! The look is good. As to the minor fixes that always show up, HWLongfellow suggested: "All things come round to him who will but wait."

Second the query about how to logout!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks