• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upper vs lower driver's mirror

Westo

I have a truck that came without mirrors or any holes drilled for them. I recently got a mirror kit in and learned about the two different mounting positions for the driver side mirror. The mirror head I have does not have the cut for the lower position, but it did come with the lower bracket.

What are the differences between the positions? I imagine door visibility has something to do with it. I don't have any doors on it now and won't for a while, but eventually I want to get hard x style doors.

AAVP7

I had my driver´s side mirror in the lower position for a while on my M1045A2 slantback.

Visibility is much better indeed. At intersections or roundabouts, you don´t have to wiggle around as much as before to check that huge blind spot at the 10 o´clock. So safety is markedly improved.

But since you can´t lower the right hand mirror, both mirrors are at different heights, which looks awkward.

So it´s safety vs. looks. Usually I´m safety minded, but in this case, with the slantback being not a daily driver, I decided for looks, and put the LH mirror back to it´s upper position. I´m very aware of that huge blind spot, and check it at each intersection, of course.

Just my opinion. Your mileage might vary.

Westo

I installed both of my mirrors, with the driver's side in the lower position. I do like the front left visibility that it gives you and I'd like to keep it there, but it has an angle problem.
IMG_20230914_124155~2.jpg
This is my view with it adjusted all the way up. The bin is about 8 feet behind the end of the truck. I'm thinking that maybe the lower specific mirror with the cut in the side has a slightly different angle to the glass to allow the driver to see something other than the ground immediately behind them. Or maybe I just don't know how to adjust it properly!

Any advice or insights appreciated.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Something doesn't look right. I don't recall the big "C" bracket that far forward? This shouldn't be that wack. Next question...where did one get the mirror? Snap a picture of the windshield brackets.

Does mirror have a label, "Trash cans may be closer that they look" CAMO

Westo

Something doesn't look right. I don't recall the big "C" bracket that far forward? This shouldn't be that wack. Next question...where did one get the mirror? Snap a picture of the windshield brackets.

Does mirror have a label, "Trash cans may be closer that they look" CAMO
It was a mirror kit from Eastern Surplus. I think it was one of the modification kits the army used to upgrade from the early style single point mirrors to the current ones. P/N 57K3214. My arm was a little far forward, but adjusting it back didn't really change the view. Here's a couple pictures from other angles.
IMG_20230914_162901.jpgIMG_20230914_162842.jpg

My drivers side mirror. View attachment 905965

note I don’t have them straight out, instead turned to the side. This works for me.
I tried adjusting mine in a similar way, but it just aimed it further down. The only thing I could see was my rear wheel. It's hard to tell from the picture, is your mirror in the upper position?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks