• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Upper vs lower driver's mirror

Westo

I have a truck that came without mirrors or any holes drilled for them. I recently got a mirror kit in and learned about the two different mounting positions for the driver side mirror. The mirror head I have does not have the cut for the lower position, but it did come with the lower bracket.

What are the differences between the positions? I imagine door visibility has something to do with it. I don't have any doors on it now and won't for a while, but eventually I want to get hard x style doors.

AAVP7

I had my driver´s side mirror in the lower position for a while on my M1045A2 slantback.

Visibility is much better indeed. At intersections or roundabouts, you don´t have to wiggle around as much as before to check that huge blind spot at the 10 o´clock. So safety is markedly improved.

But since you can´t lower the right hand mirror, both mirrors are at different heights, which looks awkward.

So it´s safety vs. looks. Usually I´m safety minded, but in this case, with the slantback being not a daily driver, I decided for looks, and put the LH mirror back to it´s upper position. I´m very aware of that huge blind spot, and check it at each intersection, of course.

Just my opinion. Your mileage might vary.

Westo

I installed both of my mirrors, with the driver's side in the lower position. I do like the front left visibility that it gives you and I'd like to keep it there, but it has an angle problem.
IMG_20230914_124155~2.jpg
This is my view with it adjusted all the way up. The bin is about 8 feet behind the end of the truck. I'm thinking that maybe the lower specific mirror with the cut in the side has a slightly different angle to the glass to allow the driver to see something other than the ground immediately behind them. Or maybe I just don't know how to adjust it properly!

Any advice or insights appreciated.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Something doesn't look right. I don't recall the big "C" bracket that far forward? This shouldn't be that wack. Next question...where did one get the mirror? Snap a picture of the windshield brackets.

Does mirror have a label, "Trash cans may be closer that they look" CAMO

Westo

Something doesn't look right. I don't recall the big "C" bracket that far forward? This shouldn't be that wack. Next question...where did one get the mirror? Snap a picture of the windshield brackets.

Does mirror have a label, "Trash cans may be closer that they look" CAMO
It was a mirror kit from Eastern Surplus. I think it was one of the modification kits the army used to upgrade from the early style single point mirrors to the current ones. P/N 57K3214. My arm was a little far forward, but adjusting it back didn't really change the view. Here's a couple pictures from other angles.
IMG_20230914_162901.jpgIMG_20230914_162842.jpg

My drivers side mirror. View attachment 905965

note I don’t have them straight out, instead turned to the side. This works for me.
I tried adjusting mine in a similar way, but it just aimed it further down. The only thing I could see was my rear wheel. It's hard to tell from the picture, is your mirror in the upper position?