• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Urgent - clutch help!

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey Guys,

JamesM is stranded on the other end of town in his Deuce. Something is up with the clutch. He was trying to make it home, but it leg go before he made it.

He said it sounded like the throw out bearing (or similar?) was making some noise, the clutch engagement point got closer and closer to the floor as he drove. Until eventually the engagement point WAS the floor, and now it doesn't work at all. He said it never felt like the clutch was slipping.

He tried to start it (in reverse with clutch in) and it just moved backwards.

From what knowledge I have of clutches, this doesn't see, like the clutch itself (well, at least the disc material). Perhaps the pressure plate or TOB?

HELLLLP!!

hemichallenger

You need to look up inside the inspection hole in the bottom of the bell housing. The bearing could be pushed in the fingers if the bearing came apart or the fingers broke or the linkage has a problem. It is not the clutch disc.

hemiJon

im not sure how the rig is set up does it have a master or slave like a jeep would? if those seals let a bit by they will do just what you describe

SixSpeed

Banned
You need to look up inside the inspection hole in the bottom of the bell housing. The bearing could be pushed in the fingers if the bearing came apart or the fingers broke or the linkage has a problem. It is not the clutch disc.
he is pulling the cover now to have a look around.

im not sure how the rig is set up does it have a master or slave like a jeep would? if those seals let a bit by they will do just what you describe
That was my first thought, but the Deuce is all mechanical.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the pressure plate is coming apart. Happens somewhat frequently. Symptoms describe it exactly. Need to get someone with a towbar out there.

poppop

I have brought several trucks and a farm tractor home with the fingers burned off the pressure plate. If that is the problem, put the trans in first gear and start the engine. Rev up to maximine rpm's, let off the accelerator and pull the shifter to neuturl, gently try to go to the next gear, you will feel the teeth rubbing, as this rubbing slows down put more pressure on the shift lever and it will fall in the next gear. Continue on till you are in hit high gear.. Watch the lights and time them so you don't have to stop. You can downshift by reversing the above prcoidure. If you get caught at a light shift to neutral and stop. Shut the engine down and shift to first gear and when the light turns green start the truck and go thru the gears again. This only works if the clutch will still pull but can't be released.

SixSpeed

Banned
I did some reading, and that seems to be the problem. Though we are cracking it open in the morning to see what up.

Pressure plate is the most expensive part, I take it we should replace some other stuff in there too?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack, if you don't take the time to do it right, you will make the time to do it over. Pressure plate and disc should be replaced. Throwout bearing should be checked thoroughly and greased. If it shows any signs of wear, replace it. Should also pull the flywheel and get it resurfaced. Make sure to have plenty if brakleen on hand for cleaning and reassembly. Not a difficult job at all, will cost a few bucks but will be GTG for quite some time.

Alredneck

Banned
Man, I picked up a deuce for 13mike on here and its sounds like its doing the same thing. I called him already and we talked about it. How much is a clutch kit going for these days?

JamesM

Hey guys,

I have just got a chance to post here since getting home. Thanks SixSpeed for posting up when I called and thanks to all of you guys for the replies. I have done a little bit of research and talked to a few people and it seems like the problem is, as stated above, an issue with the pressure plate and the fingers..or lack thereof.

I used the method described above to move the truck to the back of my friend's property. Luckily, the it failed right outside of his shop and he happen to have plenty of room in the back both for storage and for repair.

Like SixSpeed said, we will tear it all apart tomorrow and get the verdict. More than likely, I will wind up replacing everything...may as well since it's all going to be apart anyways.

I know nopicsso I will update this thread with some pictures tomorrow evening :) so look for those.

Again, thanks SixSpeed and everyone else.

Til tomorrow....

---James

hemichallenger

I paid $325. clutch, pressure plate, flywheel bearing and through out bearing. Turn the flywheel for sure. The clutch used in the duece is small so it has to be done right to get the max life out of it.:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks