• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF M35A2C truck value

wsucougarx

I'm just curious about what people paid for a later model US Air Force contract M35A2C (1986-1988). More specifically I am interested in the trucks equipped with the dual braking systems. Seems they all seem to come standard w/heaters, dropsides, hardtops, parking brake/low air warning light on dash. Do these trucks come standard w/the air assisted steering option as well? I did see where someone paid nearly $20k for an '88 out the door. Is this a more highly desirable truck than a M35A3? (IMHO the outward appearances are). I have also noticed a lack of a pioneer tool rack. Are there other parts not standard on the '86-'88's compared to a US Army contract deuce?

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Im my opinion , the 80's M35s are just as good and the ones from the 60's and 70's perfromance.
Air assist steering is not standard on all of them , low air light is not standard on all of them .

Drive a good 60's M35A2 and a good 80's M35A2 . Not a differance to me.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

I agree the performance and ride are exactly the same. However, the peace of mind of a dual braking system is priceless to me. Especially when you have your wife driving the truck. The '86 M35A2C and several later models that I have seen did not have pioneer tool racks on them. I was just trying to see what exactly these rigs have been going for

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did see where someone paid nearly $20k for an '88 out the door. Is this a more highly desirable truck than a M35A3?
Wow Mike, $20k for a deuce. That's like what, a $10k premium, compared to a auction purchased M35A3??? Are the M35A2C looks that much better or the dual brakes that much safer?

While I have not been exploring the same question as you, I have been watching the "C" deuces. I have not seen the $20k truck you refer to. Was that a private sale? Most drop side deuces (mostly older) go at auction from $2-5k. At least from what I have seen.

Rick

mbwarner

Howdy, Coug. My 1988 USAF truck went for 2070 bid, not including premium and EUC at GL last summer. Someone here was doing research on the 80's vintage AF trucks, and they were standard with wood side racks, hard top, blue warranty plate on dash, Silvertown tires, and heater. Wiithout pioneer racks or slave cable socket. Mine has the NATO slave socket added.

wsucougarx

Hey Rick, yah a fellow Steelsoldier bought her a couple years ago on GL here's the link:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/9173-outbid-10-000-a.html

I would venture to say yes the dual brake circuit is safer. With the pre-86 deuce, as you know they have a single brake circuit. Meaning if you complete loose one wheel cylinder--->NO BRAKES. The dual system has the front brakes on a different system than the rears.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can download the split brake system manual on this site. Memphis equipment and CSI should be able to get you the special 4 to 5 pieces that you need. You will just have to fabricate all the lines and order a 2nd airpack. It will take quite a bit of time and your wallet will feel it too.:roll: Just off the top of my head, memphis dual master cyl $250. The master cylinder mount bracket is the hardest part to find. CSI has a wrecked A3 with one on it or THEY can order from AMG (no civilians). The proportioning valve should be easy to find, can not recall the last odd part you will need besides brake lines and airpack.

wsucougarx

Hey Mark that's right I remember your truck. Did your's come with the air-assisted steering? How many miles/hours did your truck have on it when you got it? Is your truck CARC'd or Enamel paint? I noticed my '86 is really faded and does not have a CARC stencil on it so I assume it's enamalled.

Last edited:

NewWheeler

I believe that the USAF contract trucks did not come with tool racks or air assist, but did come with dropsides, dual circuit brakes, and the warning light. Mine agrees with all of those points. It also has the big horn button and a soft top. I would consider a USAF contract truck with a winch as pretty rare.
As far as value goes, it would only be as valuable as someone would pay you for it. Some people are more interested in an older example of the M35 and to them it wouldn't be worth as much as say an old gasser. To me I wanted the dual circuit breaks so I looked specifically for that.
If I remember correctly one of the members some time ago payed quite a bit of money for a USAF truck but to him it was worth it because he had previewed it and found all the maintenance records and could tell how well maintained it was. He wanted a truck he could drive and not have to work on all the time.

wsucougarx

It's amazing how effortlessly it is to steer a deuce w/one of those. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for my wife to drive a deuce. Luckily it came equipped on the truck already. Hmm she get's the '88 and I'm stuck with the old '68:wink:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a thread on this already at "USAF M35A2C Spotters guide". My recently aquired truck which was known as "pinky" on the GL yard sold for $1100, missing radiator and windshields. Other than faded enamel paint, it is immaculate. It is a 1989 with the dual brakes. My game plan is to build/obtain a 1950 M34, so I will have the alpha and omega in the deuce world.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My '87 came with the tool rack, but no low-air light. My wife hasn't spoken to me for 3 weeks now......I turned down $11K for it. :cry: Sure is nice and quiet around here.....:-D