• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USCG Dueces

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that Army, A/F, USMC, and Navy used the Deuce. Tried getting a hold of the USCG history department and they said that there were NO deuces used or assigned to the USCG. The local guys said the same, although none of them were old enough to remember...Do you guys know if there were any used by USCG, and if so, what detachment or district?

Katahdin

I know a retired coastie at the gun club who told me they picked up several deuces at a depot. It was memorable for him because one of the deuces lost its brakes going down a hill. I'll email him for more info.

m816

I checked out my brother who was a coastie between Korea and Vietnam, He was stationed in NY harbor, on a garbage scow, I think. He only remembers civilian pickup trucks painted grey. He can't remember any marking on them. Have to check with SRJeeper.

Srjeeper

During my Vietnam Era tour we only ever had vehicles from GSA that were Gray with the 'Offical Use Only' & 'Interagency Motor Pool' in Black lettering and the GSA seal on the doors along with the Blue & White Govt. Plates.

Anything larger than a 1 ton came from one of the other services.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 pics of USCG deuces. One was at LORSTA Johnston Island and the other was another LORSTA in the Pacific I cant remember or find the pic at the moment. Pic attached from Johnston/Sand Island. The pic is from this site. http://www.loran-history.info/default.asp There is lots of good info and pics there by each LORSTA.

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 pics of USCG deuces. One was at LORSTA Johnston Island and the other was another LORSTA in the Pacific I cant remember or find the pic at the moment. Pic attached from Johnston/Sand Island. The pic is from this site. Loran History Home - loran-history.info There is lots of good info and pics there by each LORSTA.
Interesting that the door on that deuce seems to have the "Red Sash" livery of the USCG. Wish it was a color print.

Thanks for the info and pic.

:)

Katahdin

This is from the retired CDR I know. Note, he volunteered for service in Vietnam but was instead sent to Iceland, when he tells it its a funny story.

It is a fact that 2 1/2s were never in the CG "system". However, when I was CO of the Loran Station Cape Atholl (northern Greenland), ( 1965-1966)we were some 40 miles further out in the bush than Thule Air Base. I had 22 crew, and the Coast Guard, in its largesse, gave us one Dodge power wagon, one Thiokol tracked vehicle, a D-8 and a D-7. But, there was a salvage yard in Thule. Being a bit of a scrounger, it was like a candy store to me. A favor here and there, a few filet mignons, and it was nearly our very own shopping mall. I got 5 jeeps, from which we built one. Three deuce and a halfs yielded two operational and a lot of spare parts. We got 2 old but useable 3/4 tons. And so on and so forth. When I left, we had 21 operational vehicles.
Brad

quickfarms

The trailer looks like a one ton WWII Ben hur trailer, also it looks like two CJ3B jeeps, the M35 looks like it is grey, but I do not see the stack. Is it a gasser.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems to be most of the m-37's and m-35's in CG livery are gray with the shield on the doors, also the yellow and black striped front bumpers. I think I know how i'm gonna paint my truck now.:beer:

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found another Loran station with a deuce parked out front, a M105 too.
U.S. Coast Guard LORAN Historical Index
Two items....

1. Cool white trim on the Jeep nearest to the camera :)

2. In the Historian's photo (click the LINK) is that the SOVIET flag
flying along side (and at the same height as) the
AMERICAN FLAG ? ? ? ? :shock:
Were these LORAN sites joint ventures between the two counties????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks